logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read


Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

Author Message
Offline
 Post subject: Revan B&B (Another V-Set Revan squad)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:49 am 
General
General

Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:22 pm
Posts: 453
Darth Revan, Sith Lord (62)
Darth Sidious, Sith Master (57)
Darth Bandon (27)
Lobot (27)
Kel Dor Bounty Hunter (13)
Gha Nachkt (12)
Mouse Droid (2)

+ 10 Mouse Droids

18 acts


Revan can run 14 squares and deal 60-80 damage (depending on whether piece is activated). He then swaps position with Sidious, who dishes out another 90 damage.

Best to do this end-of-round, so as to make sure Revan doesn't run too far away from Mice. That gives you another opening round 90 damage with Sidious. Just like B&B, you eliminate a key threat first, and hopefully you still have 2 very healthy Sith Lords to clean up the rest of the squad. An advantage it has over Thrawn swap is that you can run up Revan to attack, then swap out to attack with Sidious all in 1 phase (no need to move fodder, activate Thrawn, then 1 attacker). The disadvantage is that you need to keep the map covered with Mice, there is no Booming Voice to help you.

Kel Dor / Gha / Bandon provide additional swap fodder with Sidious's CE. A based Kel Dor can either do 20 damage AOOs or blow up for 40, plus you never know when you can Pawn the Kel Dor to blow it up when needed.

With the movement breakers in this squad, I think this could be pretty nasty!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: Revan B&B (Another V-Set Revan squad)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:39 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:14 am
Posts: 5344
I think you'll find once you actually play this out that you have way too many Mouse Droids. They'll basically need to be positioned in about two places 1) Near Revan 2) In your starting area. You can probably get by with 3 or 4. Then I would suggest using Rodians for cheap swap fodder, and consider taking out Gha to see if you can't get a Jarael-esque type swapper in there. Simply adding mice for activation control wouldn't help you with Tempo Control opponent's nor do you need to worry about it with MT. Against a Tempo Control squad Revan is going to take some damage at the end of a round but can put a big hurt back at the beginning of the next.

Also, I think people don't realize swapping Sidious in is a lot trickier than they think. I still like him in there, but with the addition of a tertiary attack piece I would prefer to use Revan's CE to swap it out with him. Then later use Sidious' to swap Revan back in for the next round.

If you still prefer to swap Sidious in realize that the only way to get him back out is to use Revan's CE, which then means you have an activated Revan asking for punishment, but at least he has Defense which Sidious doesn't.

Also if you have Sidious swap in, make sure you've moved a Rodian to within 6 of the mouse droid near Sidious. Then you can use his CE to swap Revan in a little closer. Otherwise, the CE is wasted.

Initially before I commented I looked for a solid Triple attacker, but you're right that at that cost Sidious is about it.

_________________
"200 or 2"
"Consistency is the key, not crying"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: Revan B&B (Another V-Set Revan squad)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:46 pm 
Master of the Order
Master of the Order
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:46 pm
Posts: 7960
Location: West Chester, OH (near Cincinnati)
I could see Maul, SA being a decent option though, and for 14 points cheaper than Sidious. Still though, playing the double swap could be a lot of fun. I think playing a Kel Dor BH with Revan will also be pretty good. Revan runs up 12, smacks something for a bunch of damage, and then swaps in a KelDor, forcing said piece to move first and lose any Double/Triple attacks, lol.

_________________
-Aaron
Mand'alor
"You either die a hero, or you live to see yourself become the villain."
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: Revan B&B (Another V-Set Revan squad)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:51 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:14 am
Posts: 5344
LoboStele wrote:
I could see Maul, SA being a decent option though, and for 14 points cheaper than Sidious. Still though, playing the double swap could be a lot of fun.


Most people don't like him, but I did figure with Riposte and a slightly better Defense he could be considered. It's a shame there's no way to have all three in and give maul some much needed renewal. 16 squares with a double swap option would be a brutal movement breaker.

LoboStele wrote:
I think playing a Kel Dor BH with Revan will also be pretty good. Revan runs up 12, smacks something for a bunch of damage, and then swaps in a KelDor, forcing said piece to move first and lose any Double/Triple attacks, lol.


He has one in his original build.

_________________
"200 or 2"
"Consistency is the key, not crying"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: Revan B&B (Another V-Set Revan squad)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:30 pm 
General
General

Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:22 pm
Posts: 453
The_Celestial_Warrior wrote:
I think you'll find once you actually play this out that you have way too many Mouse Droids. They'll basically need to be positioned in about two places 1) Near Revan 2) In your starting area. You can probably get by with 3 or 4. Then I would suggest using Rodians for cheap swap fodder, and consider taking out Gha to see if you can't get a Jarael-esque type swapper in there. Simply adding mice for activation control wouldn't help you with Tempo Control opponent's nor do you need to worry about it with MT. Against a Tempo Control squad Revan is going to take some damage at the end of a round but can put a big hurt back at the beginning of the next.

Also, I think people don't realize swapping Sidious in is a lot trickier than they think. I still like him in there, but with the addition of a tertiary attack piece I would prefer to use Revan's CE to swap it out with him. Then later use Sidious' to swap Revan back in for the next round.

If you still prefer to swap Sidious in realize that the only way to get him back out is to use Revan's CE, which then means you have an activated Revan asking for punishment, but at least he has Defense which Sidious doesn't.

Also if you have Sidious swap in, make sure you've moved a Rodian to within 6 of the mouse droid near Sidious. Then you can use his CE to swap Revan in a little closer. Otherwise, the CE is wasted.

Initially before I commented I looked for a solid Triple attacker, but you're right that at that cost Sidious is about it.



You're probably right about the Mice/Rodians, I just figured it's good to have enough Mice running around to not have to worry about being out of range.

For a tertiary attack piece, there is always still Bandon in there to help put in some hits :) His CE is nice, but if Bandon goes down it's not a big problem. I'm thinking that swapping in Sidious end of round is OK, as that gives Sidious 2 turns of triple attack for 180 damage. The way I see the play is:

1. Revan runs out front, Sidious in starting area.
2. Revan runs and bases, does some damage. Sidious swaps in, does more damage.
3. End of Sidious's turn, swap Revan with a fodder piece to keep Revan in position for another Master Speed/Lightsaber Assault.
4. NEXT ROUND: Either Sidious is in position for another triple, or Revan is in position for another Master Speed/Lightsaber Assault, swapping in Sidious again

Hopefully all that should have taken out at least 1 key piece. I'll drop some Mice for some Rodians to help make sure I can position them for Sidious's swap.

Maybe I can drop Lobot, Gha, Kel Dor and the extra Mouse for:

Jarael
Mouse x 5
R7
Wicket

I think keeping the Override in there is essential, and it gives me the extra attacker. Wicket could even be a 2nd R7 for security, but I do like having the option to help Jarael's attacks.

LoboStele: Maul could work, but I've always found his attack way too unreliable. Another option could even be Malak DLotS; I save 8pts, and Malak can do 80 damage with Double/Rage/Bandon, vs 90 with Sidious's Triple/Bandon. He's a bit more defensive, more thematic, plus I get to keep that ever-handy Lightning. He also has that great CE, which would further help Jarael if I run that option. Downside is I lose Sidious's CE, which lets me do some sneaky-sneaky stuff with Revan :) I think I'll give it a try this weekend and see how it plays out in practice.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: Revan B&B (Another V-Set Revan squad)
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:45 am 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:57 am
Posts: 1450
Location: Morris, MN
I played against a similar squad like this during playtesting. It is evil!

Darth Revan, Sith Lord
Naga Sadow
Exar Kun, Sith Spirit
Darth Bandon
Gha Nacht
Mouse Droid x7
Uggie x2

14 activations

This squad is just plain evil. Naga Sadow gets Sith Rage from Exar which he can use for a double virulent poison rage, which can do 120 dmg and activate people really easily. And if you think thats evil, what till you see what else this squad can do, cause that is nothing compared to how devestating this squad is. Do your damage with Revan, then swap Naga in for the double Sith Sorcery, in addition to the double Virulant poison attack for 100 dmg and then you will realize how much this squad can destroy stuff. The key to complete destruction is when Exar Kun approaches. That -4 to your saves is deadly. You have a pretty sure bet that you will win init every round. Naga's Sith sorcery has lots of range and when he is in position around a lot of your opponents minis, that save 15 to avoid getting activated twice if need be, and then the follow up with virulent poison that needs a save of 20 to negate being saved, is just plain evil. Naga has good defensive abilities also, with Illusion being a great force power to have for a Sith. When I played against a squad with Exar Kun, Sith Spirit, Darth Bandon, Naga and Revan, Naga activated almost me entire squad every round. Bando and Revan and Naga clean house on stuff that survives the Sith Sorcery.

(Oh and keep in mind that the total range for you to get sith sorcery into position you can move 36 squares and pull of 2 sith sorceries. 24 squares from Revan with the 2 master speeds, and then swap Naga in and move 12 squares and then double sith sorcery. 8-) )

_________________
Image

Aliit ori'shya tal'din ("Family is more than Blood")
To learn Mandalorian, go to http://www.karentraviss.com/html/mando.htm.

Image


Last edited by obikenobi1 on Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: Revan B&B (Another V-Set Revan squad)
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:48 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:03 pm
Posts: 2525
Location: Anderson, SC
obikenobi1 wrote:
I played against a similar squad like this during playtesting. It is evil!

Darth Revan, Sith Lord
Naga Sadow
Exar Kun, Sith Spirit
Darth Bandon
Gha Nacht
Mouse Droid x7
Uggie x2

14 activations

This squad is just plain evil. Naga Sadow gets Sith Rage from Exar which he can use for a double virulent poison rage, which can do 120 dmg and activate people really easily. And if you think thats evil, what till you see what else this squad can do, cause that is nothing compared to how devestating this squad is. Do your damage with Revan, then swap Naga in for the double Sith Sorcery, in addition to the double Virulant poison attack for 100 dmg and then you will realize how much this squad can destroy stuff. The key to complete destruction is when Exar Kun approaches. That -4 to your saves is deadly. You have a pretty sure bet that you will win init every round. Naga's Sith sorcery has lots of range and when he is in position around a lot of your opponents minis, that save 15 to avoid getting activated twice if need be, and then the follow up with virulent poison that needs a save of 20 to negate being saved, is just plain evil. Naga has good defensive abilities also, with Illusion being a great force power to have for a Sith. When I played against a squad with Exar Kun, Sith Spirit, Darth Bando, Naga and Revan, Naga activated almost me entire squad every round. Bando and Revan and Naga clean house on stuff that survives the Sith Sorcery.


Agreed that squad is nasty. Its also cool to use exar's ce on sorcery's from naga, as naga runs out of FP's really fast.

_________________
Bald is beautiful.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: Revan B&B (Another V-Set Revan squad)
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:02 pm 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:10 pm
Posts: 231
That's totally my play style! I'm going to love this faction! I like melee squads (NR with Ganner, & Republic) have traditionally been my favorites to play due to their movement breaking minis (plus I got sick of the sit-back, mobile-out, shoot, evade) that made games last forever or never end in a real game, but rather a game of who-will-be-the-stupid-one-and-charge game. Unfortunately, I don't have a Revan. I'm going to have to make that move when I get more money. Until then, I might have to borrow, or use a proxy. Any good proxy ideas besides the old Revan?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: Revan B&B (Another V-Set Revan squad)
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:48 am 
Jedi Battlemaster
Jedi Battlemaster
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:46 pm
Posts: 3199
Location: Waterloo, ON
Maybe the Sith marauder from KotoR ?

_________________
Winner of the Knights of the SWMGamers Stats Contest
<Joruus (GFC)> - Sheesh, I swear you're like Fool 2.0 (and you can quote me on it xD)
Archives of the Gamers Jedi
Join the FOLLY! Online casual League, find out more here: FOLLY


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: Revan B&B (Another V-Set Revan squad)
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:27 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:03 pm
Posts: 2525
Location: Anderson, SC
lonescout wrote:
That's totally my play style! I'm going to love this faction! I like melee squads (NR with Ganner, & Republic) have traditionally been my favorites to play due to their movement breaking minis (plus I got sick of the sit-back, mobile-out, shoot, evade) that made games last forever or never end in a real game, but rather a game of who-will-be-the-stupid-one-and-charge game. Unfortunately, I don't have a Revan. I'm going to have to make that move when I get more money. Until then, I might have to borrow, or use a proxy. Any good proxy ideas besides the old Revan?



I made a custom using the Emperers Hand and cutting his head off and Putting the Dark Jedi's head on him. repainted and plastitaced the face and it looks pretty cool.

_________________
Bald is beautiful.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Jedi Knights style by Scott Stubblefield