logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Playable Republic Commandos?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:40 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

--Death Commandos--
30 Republic Commando Training Sergeant
23 Mon Mothma
21 Admiral Yularen
16 Republic Commando - Fixer
32 Republic Commando - Scorch x2
48 Republic Commando - Sev x3
13 Gamorrean Bodyguard
9 R2-D2, Astromech Droid
8 Mas Amedda

(200pts. 12 activations)

Using the Commandos' 40 damage death blow as a deterrent to attacking them, they hide in cover utilizing the RCTS's CE to combine fire and/or ping. The BG sticks close to the fragile commanders.

I'm not real sure I have the offensive balance quite right. They will get a decent death blow off, but the best way I could think of to make them decent attackers is with the RCTS. Not sure if there is a better use for R2's 9 points (3 uggs maybe) as I'm not sure what his role would be.

Well, let me know what you think.

Post subject: Re: Playable Republic Commandos?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:32 am 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Well, you've got to bump up their damage output if you want the RC's to have a chance. (Consider pumped-up Senate Commandos as a benchmark for what you need to achieve: with Yularen and Argyus, they can double twin at +13 for 40, or +17 vs. adjacent enemies.

The RCTS doesn't help with that - his combining fire bonuses are minor. (Think of it this way: if combining fire was a good idea, the Rebel Leader would be Tier 1, and she isn't.) His defense boost (shields) isn't enough to keep these guys alive long - you'd be much better off adding Jar Jar if you want to protect your clones and commanders, and he's 12 points less. And the grenades trick isn't worth bothering with either.

Yularen and Mon Mothma are an interesting idea, but instead of the RCTS I think you will want more RC's. Consider adding a Boss, or maybe two - he only costs 3 points more than another RC, and has effectively double the firepower.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:34 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

You need to take out the Gamorrean BGD for Queen Amadila from Champions. She gives all your RCs mobile attack. Or, you could drop the Gamorrean and something else for CC Bacara, so that they all receive Super Stealth.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:57 am 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Alright, with the suggestions above, here is what I have come up with:

--Death Commandos--
23 Clone Commander Bacara
23 Mon Mothma
21 Admiral Yularen
19 Republic Commando - Boss
16 Republic Commando - Fixer
32 Republic Commando - Scorch x2
32 Republic Commando - Sev x2
11 Human Bodyguard
9 R2-D2, Astromech Droid
8 Mas Amedda
5 Caamasi Noble

Preferred Reserves:
(Mon Mothma) 16 Republic Commando - Whoever is needed

(199pts. 13 activations)

I don't have Jar Jar, so the best defense I could come up with was SS from Bacara. Figured it would work since they would have to base the RCs to kill them and when they do they fire back. Bacara also synergizes well as most of the RCs tricks involve them standing still. After Bacara, I put in a Boss to increase the offense a little. Against deepstrike, I feel I need a body guard in their to help protect the commanders and I went with the HBG so I could also fit in some mobile cover in the camaasi (don't have a RD).

The thing is, if I can pull the HBG and the noble I could put in another commando, but with deepstrike do I dare?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:23 am 
Mandalore
Mandalore

By 'deepstrike' are you referring to Yobuck/ Lancer, etc? Sorry, dont think ive ever heard the term before.

Assuming you do mean one of those, then yes, I can see where it would come in handy, but at the same time, if you keep your commanders spread out a bit, and far enough back (for Yularen and Mothma anyway) then your opponent shouldnt neccessarily be able to get to more than one at a time, especially if map is in your favor for that sort of thing.

Im not suggesting the other commando over the BG+ camaasi, but if you do, Id suggest another Sev. Accurate shot, in alot of cases, is king.

Wotc GTL: 52ish
Gamers GTL: 2 (dalsiandon, urbanjedi)

fingersandteeth wrote:
Also t4 for override and a cheeky flame.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:13 am 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Yeah, Lancer or Yodabuck. I figure they would go after the commanders and avoid the commandos until they have been nerfed a bit.

I'd love to sqeeze in another commando and your idea of spreading them out might work, but I'd still feel a little "naked" without a BG. I could lock them in a room, but then their CE's would be cut off.

I have been considering taking out Fixer and puttin in another Sev for the Accurate, but Fixer's door gimmick should'nt be underestimated. Still pondering.

Keep the ideas coming folks.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:40 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I think I would pass on the superstealth (no bonuses tied to adjacency in your build since there are no troopers).

Drop Bacara for Queen Amidala. This will get you mobile for the Commando followers, and 12 points to play with (after rapport).

Put in 4 uggies to blow doors, and swap Scorches/Fixer for more Sevs. Now you have 5 attackers where, if they get killed by anything non-adjacent, they can death-shot anything they can see. And your acts go up to 17, which helps a lot with Yularen. I haven't doublechecked the math, but I think that works, with a point to spare.

If I thought I would be seeing a lot of opposing accurate I might stick with Bacara, but otherwise using more Sevs should up your damage output on their normal attacks. Just keep 'em back and in cover, and get Deadeye on their shots. Use mobile as needed to deal with Accurate, Force Sense (which nerfs you with Bacara anyway), etc.

You could also keep the Commandos as is, switch Bacara for Amidala, and put in the old Senate Guard from RotS for a second BG and +10/40 death shot on Yodabuck/Lancer. :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:18 am 
Mandalore
Mandalore

I think my only other question would be "Can yularen's points be better spent?" Yes, he gives Opportunist, but your not neccessarily going to be getting much use of that, depending on if your opponent plays tempo, and he is kinda fragile.

Replacing him could get you another Commando + Camaasi, Mobile Amidala (costing 10) + another Human Bodyguard( or Camaasi + 2 Ugos), or Captain Tarpals (allowing your Scorch's to move 6, blow open a door, and Grenade whatever is on the other side lol).

fingersandteeth wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:41 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

If I were to drop Yularen I'd probably want to put CW Gree in to keep att up there. You want the death shots to have a decent chance of hitting.

Yet another thought - Drop Bacara, Yularen, Boss for Amidala, JWM, Sev, ARF and a Mouse.
Gain: 2 acts, recon, 1 more accurate, 3 death shots, an interference piece, and protect Mothma and Mas in a locked room.
Lose: SS, Opp, 1 (extra) attack.
Bring in Gree on reserves...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:03 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Wow! Lots to think about. I will tinker with the Yularenless idea.

I really liked the senate bodyguard idea, so I came up with this:

--Death Commandos--
23 Mon Mothma
21 Admiral Yularen
19 Republic Commando - Boss
17 Elite Senate Guard
16 Queen Amidala
30 Republic Commando - Scorch x2
45 Republic Commando - Sev x3
11 Human Bodyguard
9 R2-D2, Astromech Droid
8 Mas Amedda

Preferred Reserves:
(Mon Mothma) 19 Republic Commando - Boss

(199pts. 13 activations)

Two body guards, and one that gets a +12, 50 damage death shot.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:50 am 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

This is the squad without Yularen, based on Swinefeld's suggestion above:

--Death Commandos 2--
25 Jedi Weapon Master
23 Mon Mothma
16 Queen Amidala
15 Republic Commando - Fixer
10 ARF Trooper
11 Human Bodyguard
9 R2-D2, Astromech Droid
8 Mas Amedda
5 Caamasi Noble
3 Mouse Droid

(200pts. 15 activations)

The Mouse Droid idea is very interesting. Even inside locked doors the CE's would still function. I'm still not sold on the squad without Yularen. Every time I have played RCs they have had trouble hitting. With Yularen, I stand a decent chance of hitting whoever killed me, without him I am thinking the deathshot might be wasted. Mothma has Reinforcements not reserves, so I would need to roll a 20 to pull in Gree. What about this?

--Death Commandos 2--
23 Mon Mothma
21 Admiral Yularen
17 Elite Senate Guard
16 Queen Amidala
10 ARF Trooper
9 R2-D2, Astromech Droid
8 Mas Amedda
5 Camaasi Noble

Preferred Reserves:

(199 pts. 14 activations)

One less activation, but I keep Yularen, gain Recon to help with Reinforcements, which would be Boss (effectively gain two commandos with him), and I keep the ESG which could stop Lancer in its tracks. The noble could easily be two mouse droids, but I am thinking that the ESG might be enough against Yobuck.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:17 am 
Mandalore
Mandalore

I think I like the second one better, the one without the JWM.

Id suggest dropping the ARF and a RC of your choice for a Boss and a pair of Ugos. Basically your dropping the ARF's shot for Boss's, who makes up for the RC from his CE, and gain a couple of door-blowers, plus an activation.

fingersandteeth wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:08 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Disturbed1 wrote:
I think I like the second one better, the one without the JWM.

Id suggest dropping the ARF and a RC of your choice for a Boss and a pair of Ugos. Basically your dropping the ARF's shot for Boss's, who makes up for the RC from his CE, and gain a couple of door-blowers, plus an activation.

I don't think Boss (in the main squad) is necessarily all that great here (except for theme :P ). Depends on what your up against. To use his extra attack, something has to be in LOS (so possibly vulnerable). I'd rather have another mobile attacker/activation/deathshot. ARF's Recon isn't just about the 1/20 chance of reserves. Against anything besides Thrawn/NTMTO, it might allow you to go first and move to protect something when needed. The goal is to survive to do as much damage as possible before you make those death shots, lol.

I agree that the 2nd squad looks better (keeping Yularen), and also agree having some uggs would be helpful. The more acts the better without giving up too much, so if you have to lose the ARF to get there, oh well.

I also still think having a mouse in the squad might be a good idea. Can't afford to lose Mothma/Mas right off the bat. In any case, there are a plethora of variants here. I'd say some playtesting is in order at this point. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:54 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

swinefeld wrote:
I also still think having a mouse in the squad might be a good idea. Can't afford to lose Mothma/Mas right off the bat. In any case, there are a plethora of variants here. I'd say some playtesting is in order at this point. :)

--Death Commandos 2--
23 Mon Mothma
21 Admiral Yularen
17 Elite Senate Guard
16 Queen Amidala
10 ARF Trooper
9 R2-D2, Astromech Droid
8 Mas Amedda
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist
3 Mouse Droid

Preferred Reserves:

(199 pts. 15 activations)

I took out the CN and added in a mouse droid and an uggy, upping my activations to 15. And you are right, there is not much else to do other than playtest. Thanks guys for your help. The RCs are among my favorite characters, and to make them playable has been a challenge.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:12 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

The RCs have always been favorites of mine as well. Happy testing - go forth and conquer! :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:21 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

If you want more activations, then drop the Elite Senate Guard in the latest squad, for a regular Senate Guard from ROTS, which will free up some more points for fodder.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:54 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Decent idea, but I don't have any in the arsenal. I think I'll be ok with the ESG, he would have +2 more attack with Yularen and 30 more HP than the one from ROTS.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:51 am 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Defenitely needs to be some playtesting done. There are so many options available. I don't know if I like the arf trooper in there for the same reason why you didn't want boss. Line of sight, could be avoided easily but then again it could win you a key init. I don't really like door gimmick. It's a waste of an ability IMO due to it meaning nothing to overide so I would take out the fixer for another sev. I would love to try and squeeze a sheildberer for opposing guns due to the fact that guns out there in this meta have evade so your deathshots might be wasted. Like Han has one shot with accurate if he takes out your scourch no death shot if he takes out a sev the death shot could be wasted if Han evades it. The sheild could fix that. Now his shot could be backfired. You see now I'm just coming up with more possibilitys so I better shut up and do some playtesting of my own.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:38 am 
Mandalore
Mandalore

sthlrd2 wrote:
Line of sight, could be avoided easily but then again it could win you a key init. I don't really like door gimmick. It's a waste of an ability IMO due to it meaning nothing to overide so I would take out the fixer for another sev.

I dunno. While having more accurate is generally a good thing, the door gimmick could come in quite handy. It will allow him to open a door at range with Fixer, then have R2 tow anotehr piece up, past that door, and open another one, giving you the possibility of four opened doors in a single turn (Fixer based, and gimmicks, R2 bases and overrides).

Also gives you the option of gimmicking a door open to shoot through to be overridden later by R2.

Have fun playtesting!

fingersandteeth wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:29 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

And if you are truly that worried about being snipped by accurate, then go with CC Bacara, and give them all SS>