logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Long distance relationships
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:41 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Created this squad as training to force me to play a little more aggressively, as I've grown complacent relying on door control and activations . I've been pleasantly surprised as I've won 2 tournaments in the last 4 days with it. I'd appreciate any comments.

General Skywalker 47
Yobuck 51
Cad Bane 54
Panaka 23
R2 9
Mas Amedda 8
Caamasi Noble 5
Rodian Brute 3

Being organized is for people who are too lazy to look for their stuff.

Lasers make everything better... except Alderaan.

Post subject: Re: Long distance relationships
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:04 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I like the Galloping attack + momentum when it works. It makes it so that you have to have Anakin close by though. Cad and Anakin is awesome though for the GMA Momentum double twin. Nice way to boost his attack! Your a little low on activations however. Might want to try putting in some more scrubs.

Aliit ori'shya tal'din ("Family is more than Blood")
To learn Mandalorian, go to http://www.karentraviss.com/html/mando.htm.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:04 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

I assume that Cad is in there because he's a useful shooter and has 4 attacks, so he benefits well from Anakin's CE (120dmg on a GMA-Momentum-Quad attack). I think you'll have the same impact by using Dash RS, who is 26 pts cheaper, but will still get 4 attacks at +14 for 120dmg on a Momentum attack. Furthermore, after Yobuck finishes his first gallop or two, you should have no trouble out-activating your opponent, which allows Dash's Opportunist to take effect. With those 26 points you could either take a JWM or Obi Padawan (Momentum + Assault for either is nice), or the Dark Woman (give a FP to Dash, and walk through walls for some tricky swapping), or some more activations, or even a Rodian Trader and a Bacta Tank (for healing Yobuck after he gives up AOOs).

Note that Anakin's CE requires that your boosted ally must end its movement in order to gain the Momentum bonus...so you can't move 3, hit 4 times with Momentum, and then move away again with GMA. Once you hit with Momentum, your movement is finished. Therefore, Cad's flight doesn't allow him to get away easily, as it would if Anakin's CE didn't require the movement to end.

@ obikenobi1:
You don't have to have Anakin close by, since Mas Amedda makes the range of Anakin's CE unlimited. When Mas is on the board, you can end your movement anywhere within counting distance of Anakin and still gain Momentum.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:15 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

I've played a marginally different squad (Another Ugnaught instead of the Camaasi) on Vassal a few times and it won me the games so given what little experience I have with it, it seemed to work well enough. I guess, if you end your movement with Yobuck in a threatened position you can either swap him for for a fodder piece as the second activation, or you can leave him in place and soak up whatever attacks your opponent can send your way for the next two activations. Then swap Yobuck out first thing next phase for a figure which can finish what Yobuck began and deal a crippling blow to your opponent. The first option seems low risk and if you can keep doing that, killing stuff while losing little or nothing in the process, why not keep doing it. This squad really seems to cater to the second, more aggressive option though. If there is a pivotal figure in the opposing squad which could win you the game if killed, basing it with Yobuck and swapping him for Cad would seem to be just about the most lethal tool available. Flight, GMA and a ranged attack makes him very difficult to get away from. Cad likely would die in the process, but then again why make the trade if it was not worth it. Yobuck and General Skywalker can keep the squad going on their own just fine. Cad is also good as a stand off piece so it's not like there is a lack of options.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:24 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Thanks everyone for your help.

obikenobi1 wrote:
Your a little low on activations however. Might want to try putting in some more scrubs.

I agree that it is low on activations...much lower than I am comfortable with. That was why I created it, however; to get out of my comfort zone and play for early to mid round strikes. It sounds like most of you are saying that it is TOO light on activations for a serious build, and I agree...thanks.

thereisnory wrote:
Note that Anakin's CE requires that your boosted ally must end its movement in order to gain the Momentum bonus...so you can't move 3, hit 4 times with Momentum, and then move away again with GMA. Once you hit with Momentum, your movement is finished.

Yes...and while Cad was useful, I typically did not swap him into the fray until either Yobuck or Skywalker had absorbed much of the damage. Cad's flight was useful if I swapped him into a square where I already was adjacent; I could move 1 space and attack without suffering an AoO. I thought of Dash and, after 2 tournaments, think he is the better move considering Cad's role in the games I played. For some reason the JWM didn't occur to me...and I like that. Thanks TINT.

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:22 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

I would go Dash then Ashoka,obi or Dark woman. You need to play at least one uggie no matter what you have in there since your using a swap. So if one door is closed you cant swap. So I dont think a JWM really would work. I might even drap the brute for a uggie. If your goign to do a JWM I would drop the noble for a gran. Then go with Ferus.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:00 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Thanks Jonny...I will play around with those ideas.