13 Czerka Scientist
24 Rodian Black Sun Vigo
15 Lobot, CLO
36 Twilek Black Sun Vigo x2
3 Mouse Droid
10 Rodian Trader
12 Ugnaught Demolitionist x4
22 Sith Apprentice

Greater Mobile, Stealth Jolting Bane that can't be targeted by Accurate Shot, Plus I haveInfinte Grip, Force Point Rerolls, Grenades 10 or Heal 10 on whoever I like.

lmk what u think

Post subject: Re: Bane's Black Hologram
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:59 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

The Bane/Czerka/TBSV combo is a very solid one. It uses the Czerka very, very well. The Sith Apprentice is a good choice too, whenever you have Holosid. What makes me nervous is the lack of serious melee interference; I think it's because you might have too much tech.

If your opponent can close the distance, your TBSVs will be in trouble, and that negates a lot of your offensive pop. I know the RodianVigo/Lobot combo is a great 11-hunting one (50pts of Reserves!!), but I'm thinking you might be able to use those 39pts better. Cad and the TBSVs don't need the Rodian Vigo's CE, because they have GMA to keep out of LOS. So that would give you 39pts.

And the Rodian Trader could be helpful, but if you drop him you can fit in Malak DLotS, who is excellent, both as a commander for Cad and as a melee interference piece that can zap. Now Cad can hit the non-uniques more reliably, and he'll almost never miss even the toughest of uniques. And the Apprentice benefits in a big way, too. So I'd suggest dropping the Trader or else some fodder, in order to fit in Malak.

But that's just if you want a more solid, balanced squad. If you like the Super-Reserves option (which IS lotsa fun, no doubt), then by all means, go for it. I'm just expecting you'll find trouble with enemies that can close the gap and engage you in close combat.

I hope this helps. :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:22 am 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

I would go Jarael, Sith Lord for the 49 points. I would work in a wicket or a targeting droid though or a r7.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:20 am 
Hand of the Sith
Hand of the Sith

thereisnotry wrote:
The Bane/Czerka/TBSV combo is a very solid one. It uses the Czerka very, very well. The Sith Apprentice is a good choice too, whenever you have Holosid. What makes me nervous is the lack of serious melee interference; I think it's because you might have too much tech.

If your opponent can close the distance, your TBSVs will be in trouble, and that negates a lot of your offensive pop. I know the RodianVigo/Lobot combo is a great 11-hunting one (50pts of Reserves!!), but I'm thinking you might be able to use those 39pts better. Cad and the TBSVs don't need the Rodian Vigo's CE, because they have GMA to keep out of LOS. So that would give you 39pts.

And the Rodian Trader could be helpful, but if you drop him you can fit in Malak DLotS, who is excellent, both as a commander for Cad and as a melee interference piece that can zap. Now Cad can hit the non-uniques more reliably, and he'll almost never miss even the toughest of uniques. And the Apprentice benefits in a big way, too. So I'd suggest dropping the Trader or else some fodder, in order to fit in Malak.

But that's just if you want a more solid, balanced squad. If you like the Super-Reserves option (which IS lotsa fun, no doubt), then by all means, go for it. I'm just expecting you'll find trouble with enemies that can close the gap and engage you in close combat.

I hope this helps. :)

Hmm, I like the Idea of Cad shooting at a 20 on jedi :)
Plus Malak can Stun and Double, or Lightning so I'll definately consider it.

Also to Explain the Rodian Vigo.. The idea was to be able to let Cad sit and wait in the open.. I figure he could just be the Interference piece in the squad, just sitting out in the open in cover and forcing my opponent to sacrafice figures to advance, or take an alternate route.

@Jonny

Jarael HATES me! I always do terrible when i run her, although I do love running Sith Lords.

Seems there's lots of options to consider....

Maybe Redo the Squad like this

49 Darth Malak, Dark Lord of the Sith
11 Darth Sidious Hologram
54 Cad Bane
30 Xizor
36 Twilek Black Sun Vigo x2
13 Czerka Scientist
6 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2

Cad shoots at 20 on Uniques
Vigos shoot at 17's for 20-40 a shot

or Drop Xizor for Lord/Apprentice and R7

Last edited by Sith_Asassyn on Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:52 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

The 2nd build is better, but 9 activations in a 200 point squad can be sort of tricky. Just be prepared to almost always be out-activated. With Jolt both Cad and the TBSVs though, you should be OK. Probably don't REALLY need Xizor, so could consider dropping him for more fodder. But that's probably a personal choice.

Be careful about how you think you understand the Rodian BSVs Commander Effect. If Cad is under that CE, you still have to put some other piece in front of him in order for him to not get shot. That CE basically says they can't use Accurate to target him, but they can still use the normal targeting rules. So, if Cad is the closest target, then he'll still get shot at. And always remember, the Rodian BSV does not benefit from his own CE. So, someone with Accurate can always shoot at the RBSV. It's a tricky CE to use, and honestly, not THAT useful in most situations. As TINT pointed out, with Greater Mobile, you're better to do your best to just move out, shoot, then move back. You shouldn't have to leave yourself exposed very often at all.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:02 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Sith_Asassyn wrote:
Also to Explain the Rodian Vigo.. The idea was to be able to let Cad sit and wait in the open.. I figure he could just be the Interference piece in the squad, just sitting out in the open in cover and forcing my opponent to sacrafice figures to advance, or take an alternate route.

The purpose of an interference piece is to absorb damage. Generally this is a piece with a high HP/Cost ratio, or else a piece with a rock-solid defense...regardless, an interference piece has some good staying power. Cad Bane, at 54pts and only 80 hp, is definitely not an interference piece. He's a fragile shooter with excellent damage potential, whom the interference pieces need to protect.

So what you might want to do is to play the squad as you originally posted, and then play the same game again, but with the suggested adjustments (dropping the vigo and lobot and rodian for Malak, or Jonny's suggestion of SithLord and Jarael is solid too). I imagine that you'll find it easier to play your squad when you have some beefy melee interference pieces to protect your fragile TBSVs and Cad. Maybe that experience will help to clarify what I'm trying to say about interference.

Looks like a really fun squad, though. I hope you have a blast with it. :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:22 pm 
Hand of the Sith
Hand of the Sith

thereisnotry wrote:
Sith_Asassyn wrote:

The purpose of an interference piece is to absorb damage. Generally this is a piece with a high HP/Cost ratio, or else a piece with a rock-solid defense...regardless, an interference piece has some good staying power. Cad Bane, at 54pts and only 80 hp, is definitely not an interference piece. He's a fragile shooter with excellent damage potential, whom the interference pieces need to protect.

So what you might want to do is to play the squad as you originally posted, and then play the same game again, but with the suggested adjustments (dropping the vigo and lobot and rodian for Malak, or Jonny's suggestion of SithLord and Jarael is solid too). I imagine that you'll find it easier to play your squad when you have some beefy melee interference pieces to protect your fragile TBSVs and Cad. Maybe that experience will help to clarify what I'm trying to say about interference.

Looks like a really fun squad, though. I hope you have a blast with it. :)

Ok, how bout this then

49 Darth Malak, Dark Lord of the Sith
23 Sith Lord
22 Sith Apprentice
54 Cad Bane
18 Twilek Black Sun Vigo
13 Czerka Scientist
3 Mouse Droid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:29 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Solid melee interference with unlimited FPs, and some excellent GMA shooters backing them up. That's a solid squad. But don't just take my word for it; I encourage you to test out the different builds yourself. When you actually play them against an equally-skilled opponent, you'll see the strengths and weaknesses in each squad that might not have otherwise been immediately apparent. :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:03 pm 
Hand of the Sith
Hand of the Sith

thereisnotry wrote:
Solid melee interference with unlimited FPs, and some excellent GMA shooters backing them up. That's a solid squad. But don't just take my word for it; I encourage you to test out the different builds yourself. When you actually play them against an equally-skilled opponent, you'll see the strengths and weaknesses in each squad that might not have otherwise been immediately apparent. :)

I ended up going with this today, at the last minute.

49 Malak, DLotS
22 Sith Apprentice (Mouse/Ug Killer)
54 Cad Bane
28 Dash Rendar, RS
18 Twilek Black Sun Vigo
8 R7 Astromech Droid
3 Mouse Droid

Only one guy showed up today, which was rather disappointing.. but i won, losing Cad and and ug. and killing his 4 scouts, quartermaster, captain, and boba merc comm. and i gripped his mouse.

Idk if the other squad would have been better or not but this one ran rather well.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:51 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Nicely done! Malak works really well with Dash.