logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Imperial Bombing Run
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:36 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

This is a squad that has been collectively played and developed by a plethora of players over the last few years, with varying degrees of success. I credit Admiral Graybar for the name of the squad.

In its original form:

50 Darth Vader, Champion of the Sith
40 Emperor Palaptine
37 Aurra Sing
22 Aqualish Spy x2
17 Nightsister Sith Witch x1
17 Boba Fett, Young Mercenary
09 Ugnaught Demolitionist x3
08 Mas Amedda

The goal of this was very straightforward. Young Boba and Aurra were backed up by the Spies for heavy damage. They could spend Palp's Force points to reroll missed attacks made with Vader's CE. Once the enemy got up close, Palp and the NSW could provide interference while the shooters backed away. The squad's strength was in the opponent's difficulty in understanding how it worked; it's weakness was Grand Admiral Thrawn (Force Immunity).

With the release of BH and several subsequent sets, the squad was tinkered with, but never really amounted to much. Kel Dor Bounty Hunters were released in Legacy of the Force, but the problem with them at the time was the fact that it was difficult to find the right mix AND include Emperor Palpatine for the Force point reroll. The squad was ultimately considered a failure and shelved.

Fast forward to the release of IE and JA. The days of Accurate Shot dominance seem to be over, at least for a while. Short of Han Smuggler, Accurate Shot is rarely seen. We've also seen some new pieces in IE that mesh very well with the older stuff.

Imperial Bombing Run 2.2
50 Darth Vader, Champion of the Sith
32 Thrawn
26 Kel Dor Bounty Hunter x2
23 Jarael
18 Moff Nyna Calixte
13 Czerka Scientist x1
11 Admiral Ozzel (Grand Moff Tarkin if you dare)
08 Mas Amedda
08 Gran Raider x2
05 Camaasi Noble x1
06 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2

Right away, note the absence of Emperor Palpatine. There just aren't enough points to fit in all the "tech." Instead, the trick MUST be to go for the "meat" and just play smarter/more carefully. But between Opportunist and Vader's CE, the characters in your squad should put up a great fight. The most important element of playing this squad is to remember NOT to reroll unless absolutely necessary. Under no circumstances, reroll with a KDBH that is not adjacent to an enemy. The Super-Stealthed Gran provide excellent and very necessary swap fodder, though Wicket is a suitable replacement, depending on what you expect to face locally.

This squad has two major weaknesses:

1. IG-Lancer squads with GG-DAC. On most 200 pt. legal maps, the Lancer can base - and eliminate - everything on your squad except the Kel Dors and Vader in a single phase. It's a situation like this where you need Tarkin. Win initiative, base it with a Kel Dor, and roll the Twin Attack, rerolling the second blast. Then, activate Thrawn and attack. If the thing is still not dead, swap Jarael in and let her finish the thing off. She gets 3 tries, and you can reroll one. If you're feeling less confident, or the Kel Dor explodes, move up a different Kel Dor and blow it up, too, if you have to. 26 points at most traded for 31, and you've taken away the squad's only gimmick. The rest of the game should be a cakewalk by comparison.

2. Kyle Katarn JBM. This is about the only Disruptive piece that scares me when playing a CE-heavy squad. Especially if he is paired with Wedge, and most of the time he will be. The trick to beating this squad is to let Kyle come to you. Try to manuever around him from multiple points so that Vader and Jarael can reach Wedge or Mara (assuming she is on the squad). If you can isolate Kyle, you can win the game on points. I know some people think that is a dirty way to play, but it is how the game is played at DCI. Barring incredible luck on your part and terrible luck on the part of your opponent, you cannot win a kill-em-all game against Kyle.

So that's it. Thoughts? Suggestions for improvement? Constructive feedback welcome. :)

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

Post subject: Re: Imperial Bombing Run
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:04 pm 
General
General

Impressive. I've had Vader CotF for ages, and I've always wanted to try something like this. I've always had trouble making good use of Vader's CE without going overboard and making my damage output useless without the boost.

Good job ;)

{11111111011][7777777777777777777777777777777
<(HHHHHQXX)=(77777777777777777777777777777777

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:34 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Well on here it's AdmiralSlowbar, as they butchered the Boards but thanks for the credit.

This squad is surprisingly effective and it's a true blast to play.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:16 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Looks like an odd B&B build....

GVL Statistics: 5-1 Record, 7.5 VPs & 9 BPs

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:33 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

LandShark wrote:
Looks like an odd B&B build....

Umm, no. If you try to play it like B&B you will lose.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg