logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: At my signal, unleash hell...
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:25 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Total:200
Shock Trooperx6 (78)
Darth Vader, Unleashed (50)
Lando, HoT (23)
FSO (14)
Kel-Dor BH (13)
Uggiesx4 (12)
MDx2 (6)
Gran (4)

Mobile Missles madness. Vader runs interefence and helps nerf SS. His Grip is pretty nice additional auto-damage as well. The FSO is there so that although they have mobile and SC, should the Shock Troopers get shot at, they still have an insane 28def in cover. Kel-Dor could be dropped for another trooper, but he's good protection against Yobuck/Lancers (who could really hurt the shocktroopers) and he can make a nice explosive to set off with missiles.

Should be a good counter to all the evade and high def in the current meta. Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: At my signal, unleash hell...
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:36 am 
Mandalore
Mandalore

I was talking about a similar squad in another thread. I think this take could be very dangerous if played against the new rebels or any of the new evade pieces, it is as if you get multiple attacks if the cluster, and your 30 damage attacks are auto hits. It takes evade right out of the equation. Good Meta choice. However if you do see yobuck, you are screwed.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:51 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Well, first of all, your Felucian Stormtrooper Officer costs 16, not 14. I don't know if that's a typo (didn't add it up), but I thought I'd point that out.

I think the build is decent overall. Yobuck is what would scare me the most, and honestly, even the Lancer could be quite bad. Yobuck will gladly gallop and take the AoOs, as no one except Vader can do more than 10 damage per hit...IF they hit, since the Shock Troopers need a 14 to hit Yobuck. The Lancer on the other hand....If I was running a Lancer, unless I was trying to use Pawn with Sidious, I'd gladly take the SD40 damage if it meant getting to kill all, or even most, your Shock Troopers in the process. So, it will definitely require some careful play.

There's also always the chance that your opponent rolls crazy good, or has a lot of Stealth, or things like that, which will really cause you a headache with squads like this as well. It's a decent build overall, but I think it struggles against too many other things to really be a top-tier squad. Then again, at 200 points, things are a bit more wide-open, so it's sometimes hard to judge for sure.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:06 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I would really suggest that you try to fit in the new Palpatine. Vader Unleashed, by himself isn't very feasible with out a force battery. It takes a long time to get that much force just to pull of 40 dmg. So heres what Palps can do:

-New Palps= 40 auto damage with Vader, Unleashed, per turn. :D
-All your troops can reroll their attaack rolls and saves.
-Easy gambit points from turn #1 and also a fairly respectable damage dealer with good def against shooters.

And if you have Thrawn, you could have Vader doing 60 dmg for a lot of turns. I know missles 30 is great and all, and if the opponent fails the save, they will hurt alot, but I'd take out 1 or 2 and put in some regular troops, or if you want to be Yobuck safe, replace the Shock Troops with more Kel Dors.

If you are looking for a squad idea with Vader Unleashed, put him with the New Palps, Nyna Calixte or Mithrawndu, and a bunch of stealthy troops and watch enemy SS squads get destroyed (yes Rebels this means you!).

Aliit ori'shya tal'din ("Family is more than Blood")
To learn Mandalorian, go to http://www.karentraviss.com/html/mando.htm.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:27 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I have a Shock Trooper squad:

62 Emperor Palpatine, SL
52 Shock Trooper x4
37 Grand Admiral Thrawn
20 Commander Gree
11 Admiral Ozzel
08 Mas Amedda
06 Ugnaught x2
04 Gran Raider

You could use the new Thrawn instead and increase attack and damage instead of defense, but Force Immune missiles seems a lot more fun to me.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:18 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Wouldn't it be MUCH cheaper to just Lando HoT instead of the Palp SL/Gree combo? I understand you're going for the total 8 square movement, but that seems awful expensive to me.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:26 pm 
One of the Sith on Malgus' Shuttle
One of the Sith on Malgus' Shuttle

Lobo, its not Clone Commander Gree (CotF) but just Commander Gree (CW). Guess he's going for improved Squad Cover in case some of you guys bite it...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:48 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Oh, doh, I didn't read it carefully. Ahh...I see. Going for the idea that they get +4 Atk and +4 Defense, I see. I still think you could go with Lando HoT, and then 2-3 more Shock Troopers and have no trouble keeping 4 of them together enough for Squad Cover at least. I don't see you using their base attack all too often, unless you switch up and run the new Thrawn as well.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:30 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Yeah its the CW version. Everyone grants the same name, and Shockers have Squad Assault and Squad Cover.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg