logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: My Favorite Squad so far!!!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:55 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Clanker Spankers:
General Aayla Secura (50)
Captain Rex (33)
Commander Gree (20)
Elite Clonetrooper Commander (15)
Starcorps Troopers x3 (45)
Arc Trooper Sniper (16)
R2-D2 Astromech Droid (9)
and Mas Amedda (8)

Tell me what you think.

Post subject: Re: My Favorite Squad so far!!!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:22 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Looks tough. Watch out for SL Palpatine, though.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:33 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Watch out for Lancer Droids too!

It's certainly a decent squad, but it's gonna have trouble against some of the other 'Top Tier' builds at 200 points. The toughest part about it is that you really don't have any single beefy piece, besides Aayla. All the clones die way too quickly in my experience, which makes them tough to run well. Overall though, it should do quite well.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:39 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Oh, is this for a tournament? I just thought it was something you built for fun.

If it's for a tournament, then yeah - what Lobo said. Cut back on Clones and try to fit Mon Mothma in there.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:36 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

you guy's don't understand. This is a super mobile team. It still has yet to be beat. I let my friend borrow it and he got first place, not to mention he beat me. This team turns the corner fires everything and goes back. I haven't changed it once since I made it. My friends say it is broken and that I need to take a break from using it. So I did and I am regretting ever have because I have benn beaten since then.

How do you get a pic and title on your posts.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:43 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Have you faced any of the following with it:

Lancer Droid/GG DAC?

Palp SL? (More of a counter, but good on his own.)

Yoda on Kybuck?

I'm glad to hear the squad has done well for you, but it makes me wonder what the people you play with are using. No offense, but a squad like that would get chopped to pieces at my LGS, and I wouldn't even call our group cutthroat - not by a long shot.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:20 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

boba90 wrote:
you guy's don't understand. This is a super mobile team. It still has yet to be beat. I let my friend borrow it and he got first place, not to mention he beat me. This team turns the corner fires everything and goes back. I haven't changed it once since I made it. My friends say it is broken and that I need to take a break from using it. So I did and I am regretting ever have because I have been beaten since then.

If your friends/opponents are putting their pieces where you can easily pop out around a corner and get LOS on them, then move back into hiding....well yeah, you should be slaughtering them.

But as I pointed out in my first response....how do you deal with pieces like Mara Jade Jedi? Your ARCs are the only things that can hit her until she gets close, and you have to roll a 10 or better. She has Evade on top of that. Once Kyle Katarn descends on your forces, you no longer get Double Attack OR Greater Mobile OR Squad Assault. How do you win then? You're having to roll 10+ to hit Kyle or Mara, even when they are right on top of you.

Have you had to play against Imperial Super Stealth? That would decimate you.

Sounds to me like your friends/opponents would rather complain to you and ask you to change what you play instead of coming up with things on their own in order to beat you. It also sounds like your opponents just need to learn to play smarter, and not leave their pieces sitting out in the open where Rex et al can blast them so easily.

Grand Moff Boris wrote:
I'm glad to hear the squad has done well for you, but it makes me wonder what the people you play with are using. No offense, but a squad like that would get chopped to pieces at my LGS, and I wouldn't even call our group cutthroat - not by a long shot.

100% agree here. A couple people at my LGS like running the clones, but I have yet to see an army that is more than 50% clones go better than 2-2. Often times they end up 1-3 or 0-4 for the night.

Now, we're not saying it isn't a good squad. It may very well be the best thing in your local playing group. What Boris and I are saying though is that there are better things out there. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:35 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Yeah, what Lobo said. It IS a tough squad, but the mix of characters you've chosen has glaring weaknesses that need addressing.

We actually have a guy at our LGS who brings Palp SL with him frequently now that CW is the most recent set. People stopped using Clone armies really fast once they realized that Palp = auto-loss.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:33 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

You also have to watch out on the activations. With only 10 activations, you could run out when going against Dodonna, Moff Tarkin or Ozzel. Super Stealth will also be a huge problem, especially, as Lobostele said, if your going against Imperial Super Stealth. Beware of Moff Nyna! Also the new Palpatine and Vader Unleashed would destroy your low HP troopers. Be careful!

I would really love to play against this squad sometime on Vassal. I've toyed with having Aylaa Secura with Gree and Rex, but I've always droped Secura for more Troopers (aka more activations).

My experience is that if you but to much pts on Cmdr Effects, the squad can really suffer. I'd suggest cutting Secura and adding in some Star Corp Troopers.

Aliit ori'shya tal'din ("Family is more than Blood")
To learn Mandalorian, go to http://www.karentraviss.com/html/mando.htm.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:24 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Ok this is a team I had to play against.

54 Kyle Katarn, Jedi Battlemaster
48 Shado Vao
23 General Wedge Antilles
23 Echani Handmaiden
21 T1 Series Bulk Loader Droid
18 Lando Calrissian, Dashing Scoundrel
3 Ug Demo X4

It is actually a tough squad, because he get's mobile and evade with every one, except the T1. He was moving around corners and shooting me too. I just focused on his Kyle Katarn and Shado Vao first. Him having evade screwed with me a lot, but I had the advantage. Fire power and A LOT OF IT!!! Let's just say by round 3 I killed Kyle with Rex and Gree. By round 4 Shado was dead. Then I picked apart his team from there.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:39 pm 
Jedi Battlemaster
Jedi Battlemaster

Maybe it might be a good idea to get Vassal on your PC boba90, that way you can see how your squad can stack up against more varied opponents. Yes, it does have potential, but it also has some weaknesses too. There usually a person or two on vassal willing to give you a hand. Check it out sometime.

Oh, and if your strategy is to mobile in and out of LOS with the troopers and rex, maybe you should consider dropping the elite clone trooper commander for another trooper, get some more firepower!

Join the FOLLY! Online casual League, find out more here: FOLLY