logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Yet another Grand Master Luke idea.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:40 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

I know that everything is most likely going to change when JA comes out, but here's a GMLS squad for kicks.

--Luke, Kyp & Wedge 200--
115 Grand Master Luke Skywalker
26 Kyp Durron
23 General Wedge Antilles
13 Jawa Scavenger
9 General Dodonna
12 Ugnaught Demolitionist x4
(198pts. 9 activations)

Here is the thinking:

Advance carefully with Kyp leading with Evade allowing only the Acc Shooters to target Luke, if they can. General Wedge and the Jawa Scavenger take mobile shots at the support pieces if possible (ie Czerkas, Storm Commandos, Kel-Dors, etc) and Luke advances in cover building Force points. Uggies all have Evade hopefully increasing their survival rate. Depending on what you are facing, you can even use the Uggies as meat shields if necessary.

Kyp is a multi-threat with mobile Lightnings and possibly mobile LS Assaults. You have to pick your spots with Luke.

Yobuck will obviously be a problem, but hopefully you can position so that Luke and company can make him pay for a Gallop.

Thrawn + Czerka + Kel-Dors will be a problem, but hopefully you can keep Luke out of LOS for a couple rounds and roll well with Kyp on your Evades. Wedge and Jawa Scavenger have the chance to take one out each round but I still see this as a bad match-up for this squad. Can't have it all.

Post subject: Re: Yet another Grand Master Luke idea.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:16 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

That was well thought out, but I got a better idea.
--Power House--
61 Cade Skywalker, Bounty Hunter
15 Lobot, Computer Liason Officer
9 General Dodonna
(200 pts 4 activation's)
Lobot reserve's
30 Dengar, BH

You would be able to Force heal luke and Cade for ever.

Did you know you can Force Heal 40 Cade with himself. It's in the ew rule book under Force Heal #.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:35 am 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

@ Gemini: I like the build. I wonder how Jacen would work with Unky Luke slowly getting his head bashed in while Jacen builds up enough FPs to unleash 1 or 2 of those Force Bombs he stores up. :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:38 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

boba90 wrote:
That was well thought out, but I got a better idea.
--Power House--
61 Cade Skywalker, Bounty Hunter
15 Lobot, Computer Liason Officer
9 General Dodonna
(200 pts 4 activation's)
Lobot reserve's
30 Dengar, BH

You would be able to Force heal luke and Cade for ever.

Did you know you can Force Heal 40 Cade with himself. It's in the ew rule book under Force Heal #.

I believe Force Heal has been that way since clarification after Rebel Storm... or it may have been Revenge of the Sith, I can't remember for sure.

The problem I have with the above squad is that you will almost always certainly be out-activated and out-shot. Plus, if you're healing with Cade, you're not shooting with him.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:42 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Markedman247 wrote:
@ Gemini: I like the build. I wonder how Jacen would work with Unky Luke slowly getting his head bashed in while Jacen builds up enough FPs to unleash 1 or 2 of those Force Bombs he stores up. :)

Well, I believe Billiv had a squad with Jacen, but my feelings on Jacen are that he is simply too fragile and besides, who are you sacrificing to get off his Unleash the Force ability?

It's really all just for fun anyway until JA comes out. I'm thinking that set will change the squad designs quite rapidly.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:48 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I watched theME run a GMLS squad with Jacen and a few Human Force Adepts against TINT and a standard 200 point NR squad (Wedge, Kyle, Mara, Jaina, Han Smug). Tint ended up winning the game, but it was fairly close. theME only got to use Jacen's Unleash one time, and honestly, I think he had too many of the HFAs. I think he had 3 in the squad to start with, so that was 30 HP off of Jacen right there because of Empathic. I do think the HFA is a good choice though, so maybe just one of them in the squad.

Could go with something like this:

GMLS
Jacen Solo
Leia BH
HFA
Dodonna
Ugo x5

So, 10 activations isn't too bad. Could be tricky keeping Jacen alive, but if you lead with Luke, then have Leia nearby, let her get hurt maybe once, then pull back a bit. Then you could move up using Jacen's Protective +20 bonus (an ability I wish we could see more of, personally). Leia's Shockstaff helps Luke out with keeping key pieces from getting too far away (like Boba Merc/BH).

I still don't think Jacen is necessarily the right choice to pair with Luke, though it is a fairly obvious one. I do like Leia BH with Luke though. And if you didn't burn any FPs otherwise in the round, and you wanted Dodonna to be able to take a pot-shot at something, you could still do Force Sense. :P

I think for the most part though, it's not worth thinking too hard about what to pair with GMLS. We have to be getting further NR faction support in Jedi Academy, and I would bet there will be something that is designed to work well with Luke, at least besides Kyp anyways.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:38 pm 
Name Calling Internet Bully
Name Calling Internet Bully

Having run Jacen many times in the past, its a mistake to focus on UTF or on Protective. Its best to do both. In my little Luke squad that was referred to, I only use 4 force users total (so 3 can set off Jacen). One is Luke, one is Kyp and the other is Leia Diplomat for 40hps and 7 pts.

Here's the key, Leia can clear gambit alone, and can afford to be shot (give Jacen protective), then run with him to engage diplomat, and Jacen becomes a tough hitter (he takes out commanders and support figs once Luke engages). Luke and Kyp advance together safetly and generate force. Keep Jacen back at this point advancing slowly.

In my one game with it, Jacen never Unleashed, and Leia was never hit. Jacen took out Dodonna, Lobot (new one) and some ugs without getting hit. He's worth it at this point for threat alone. But using 3 HFAs is too many, as 30hps gone makes him an easy kill.

The best part is, if someone does get through Luke and Kyp, that's when Jacen can unleash. Its a last ditch effort only when needed. Otherwise, he simply runs around behind Luke and Kyp. Works pretty good for 20pts.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:41 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Doh!! I am ALWAYS forgetting about Leia Senator from KOTOR because...I don't have her! :P Yeah, she's a better piece to help trigger Jacen's Protective than what I was proposing. I like your suggestion best for now, Bill (Luke, Kyp, Jacen, Leia).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:39 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

LoboStele wrote:
Doh!! I am ALWAYS forgetting about Leia Senator from KOTOR because...I don't have her! :P Yeah, she's a better piece to help trigger Jacen's Protective than what I was proposing. I like your suggestion best for now, Bill (Luke, Kyp, Jacen, Leia).

I never forget Leia. You never forget your first crush. :)