logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Cunning B@st@rds
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:20 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Admiral Ace and I have been toying with a squad, based on the idea of constantly moving the positions of your minis. Here's what I came up with.

Tech:
Jabba CL
Lando HOT
Czerka
Mas
Thrawn
Ug x2

Main Portion:
Boba Merc
Gotal Merc x3

Basically, you use Thrawn to win initiative allowing you to move your shooters 6. Two of them (preferably Boba) to setup shots and the others out of LOS. Your Gotal's become mobile cunning attackers with evade just in case, attacking at +14, for 30 damage and jolt. Your goal is to use them to activate the opponents squad so that during the game they never get to use their squad (well, at least their heavy hitters).

This isn't supposed to be competitive, just a fun idea. Let me know what you think.

Post subject: Re: Cunning B@st@rds
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:33 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

terps2112 wrote:
Admiral Ace and I have been toying with a squad, based on the idea of constantly moving the positions of your minis. Here's what I came up with.

Tech:
Jabba CL
Lando HOT
Czerka
Mas
Thrawn
Ug x2

Main Portion:
Boba Merc
Gotal Merc x3

Basically, you use Thrawn to win initiative allowing you to move your shooters 6. Two of them (preferably Boba) to setup shots and the others out of LOS. Your Gotal's become mobile cunning attackers with evade just in case, attacking at +14, for 30 damage and jolt. Your goal is to use them to activate the opponents squad so that during the game they never get to use their squad (well, at least their heavy hitters).

This isn't supposed to be competitive, just a fun idea. Let me know what you think.

Just one quick point: Gotal Mercs and Mobile are pretty much polar opposites. They are Mercs so they are pretty much turrets once they aquire LoS to an enemy at the beginning of their turn. Now, they might be mobile as long as they don't have LoS but that takes some doing in 200 pts with some of the maps being open. That means you may want to remove Lando, HoT for another piece. Perhaps Zuckuss to continue the concept :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:05 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Markedman points out a good thing. Lando really isn't necessary in your squad, IMO. In addition, if your Gotals are left out in the open for an entire round, they aren't going to last long enough to use Intuition at the beginning of the next round. Even Thrawn's Def boost and Evade won't likely be enough to keep them alive. So, like MM247 points out, if you use Intuition instead to move them out to take a shot, well, then because of Mercenary, they won't be able to move after they've shot. The only way you could get it to work is to ensure that they do NOT have LOS at the beginning of their turn.

So, after three rounds, you will likely not have any Gotal Mercs left, lol. I know you're going for the Jolt here, but I would suggest something more like Nyna and Shadow Stormtroopers in that case.

On top of that, you only have 1 real threat in a 200 point squad. If you run up against an opponent with decent Jolt saves, you'll be in BIG trouble.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:50 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Thanks for the tips. In that case, it would probably be better to take out Lando and Boba, and replace them with Nym (to give the Gotal's double attack), 2 more Gotal's and possibly Grand Moff Tarkin to get 3 activations out of the Gotal's.