logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: New Republic 200
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:40 am 
Mandalore
Mandalore

With all of the new pieces in the new republic it seems that the faction is now based around counter tactics and high damage/hp Characters. It is almost like you can forget synergy and just eliminate your opponents synergy.

Bearing that in mind this squad is designed to be just that, High hit point/damage characters who make my opponent's life miserable.

Han Solo Galactic Hero 50
Kyle Katarn Jedi Battle Master 104
General Dodonna 113
Talon Karrde 137
General Dodonna 146
Deliah Blue 179
7x Ugnaught Demolitionist

let me be clear I do not think that this squad is currently optimized. The Core of the squad is very effective (Han Dodonna Kyle) The rest of the squad is me attempting to complement their abilities. I would very much appreciate some help in optimizing this squad and any comments/suggestions are more than welcome. I think that counter tactics have become a valid strategy in all point values and for counter tactics you only need 2 abilities NTMTO and Disruptive, but I think that the more disruptive you have the better. Also the Higher HP on the Disruptive piece the better. I worry about Deliah Blue in this squad because so many of her abilities are wasted. Talon Karrde may just be a little bit dated.

ImageImage

Post subject: Re: New Republic 200
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:48 am 
Name Calling Internet Bully

you have dodanna listed twice. I would drop him, and drop Talon and try to work in Garm. He helps Kyle with triples, and allows you to bring something for Deliah to repair.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:07 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Would you drop both Dodonna's or just one?

ImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:10 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Really depends on what you want to get out of the squad. I do like the concept you've put forth of running Kyle up 12-14 squares at the end of a round, and THEN using Han to snipe at Stealthed opponents or such. Having Dodonna in there allows you to possibly do that without Kyle getting shot to pieces afterwards. Though, it does seem to me like it's a limited scenario where you would want Kyle doing that anyways. A part of me definitely agrees with Bill that Kyle almost NEEDS Garm to be truly effective, since his Triple Attack is wasted without being able to move.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:44 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Yeah I tried the run Kyle out and follow up with Han shots on Monday and it worked wonderfully. Alright I will attempt to retool this squad to allow for Garm, although I hate to only have his commander effect work on one piece. So I will attempt a rework of the squad nearly entirely. I'll have this later tonight.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:13 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Try this one:
lf34. Kyle Katarn, Jedi Battlemaster 54
lf33. Han Solo, Galactic Hero 50
tfu45. Garm Bel Iblis 45
un22. Lobot 27
lf14. General Dodonna 9
cotf59. Ugnaught Demolitionist 3

Reinforcements:
Lando Dashing Scoundrel
Rebel Trooper on Taun Taun
(I honestly dont know what the other 17 points of rebels could be I haven't gone down the list yet)

ImageImage

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:01 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Luke_Skywalker wrote:
Try this one:
lf34. Kyle Katarn, Jedi Battlemaster 54
lf33. Han Solo, Galactic Hero 50
tfu45. Garm Bel Iblis 45
un22. Lobot 27
lf14. General Dodonna 9

Reinforcements:
Lando Dashing Scoundrel
Rebel Trooper on Taun Taun
(I honestly dont know what the other 17 points of rebels could be I haven't gone down the list yet)

The issue I see here is that it is just 2 attackers with 96 points of Tech. It could work but it really depends on what you are going up against.

“Those with no tactical ability at all may never understand or accept it. Nor will such people understand or accept the tactician. To those without that ability, those who posses it are a mystery.” - Mitth’raw’nuruodo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:11 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

I play something similar to your second squad listed, except I use Mara, Jedi instead of Garm. Not nearly as customizable, but I like the firepower I can put downfield and my ability to deal with swarms.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:33 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Trying to combine the two squads youve listed thus far:

Han, GH 50/50
Kyle, JBM 54/104
Garm 45/149
Deliah Blue 33/182
Dodonna 9/191
3x Ugo 9/200

Youve got your door control in the Ugos. Other than the ability to customize further, I think you can live without Lobot. Garm can let you bring in the Golan(for Deliah to repair, if the emplacement would be useful), or the Recontaun(if you want init advantage) or those new Rebel commando guys with Override(the ones that Nathan likes to play :P)

Dis1

"If at first you don't succeed, before you try again, stop to figure out what you did wrong." -Leo Rosten

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:03 am 

I think this is similar, but significantly superior to either of the above options.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2954

Jaina Solo 25
Garm 45
Han Scoundrel 46
Kyle Katarn Jedi BM 54
Luke FS 10
GA Scout 13
Ugo X2

199pts, 8 activations plus Garm's.

So yes, I would drop Dodonna completely LS. I don't think he offers much at all to the squad.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:46 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

I dont know. I think Han GH offers alot more than Scoundrel does for only 4 points more. Greater Mobile is just amazing. Jaina, while good, seems a little fragile to me. She might last a couple rounds if shes being shot at, but most major beatsticks are gonna drop her if they get one full attack on her.

Also, I think Dodonna is neccessary at 200 right now, if for nothing else but newness. Many other people are playing him(or figs with his slowplay ability), and I cant think of a well constructed squad Ive seen lately that didnt run one of those. If this was 100, sure, leave him out, but I think hes needed in this format, at least for now.

However, if you did want to drop him, you could lose him and a Ugo for Luke, JS, which would be crazy with Kyle. :P

"If at first you don't succeed, before you try again, stop to figure out what you did wrong." -Leo Rosten

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:35 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Well with the squad Billiv listed Reinforcements from Garm will almost certainly include a Bothan Noble meaning that instead of getting off 2 Shots with the Galactic Hero, you can get off 4 with the Scoundrel. Basically what we have is a New Republic 200 point Han Cannon squad with Kyle filling in the role of Melee Beatstick staller. That is a workable combination, although I don't like not having never tell me the odds, as almost everyone packs something to control initiative, I believe that we will see less of that in the current Meta for the reason that Han's playability and availability make him a healthy option. His existence will push those other things out of the Meta, and then you don't have to use him.

ImageImage