logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Tourny Decisions
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:50 am 
Unnamed Stormtrooper
Unnamed Stormtrooper

Looking to play in a tourney coming soon and I need a little help in deciding which of these two squads would is most playable.
I realize that is is the worse way to introduce a topic but I'm stumped. Both armies are viable in my mind but I'm more stoked to play one vs the other one day then it switches on me the next day. Its not that big of a tournament I don't even really want the prize tottally but I would like to have a chance at winning.

Empire Tactics (Feel Good Inc.) 200 even
--------------------
G.Veers
A.Ozzel
A.Piett
Mas Ammeda
Lando: HOT
Felucian STO
x4 Evo Trooper
x8 Raxus Prime Trooper
x3 Ugs

This ones been done in various way a lot I fear....so I imagine its pretty common.
Straight forward mostly.....5 commanders make the 12 shooters nasty
Ozzle + 21 activations ensure you out activate your opponent
Evos get to attack for 40 at +11 Accurate, and them mobile back into cover for 24def
RPTs get to attack for 20 at +9 Accuarate, and then mobile back into cover for 23def

Rebel Tactics (Garmblis Kannon)
-----------------------------
Han of Hoth
Jango: BH
P.Leia
Garm
Wicket
R2-D2
Lobot
Ug

This squad is admittedly inspired by the Golan Sniper tower and Han Cannon Squads. I did try to use Boba:Merc but Jango gives me more options for this squad. This one has lots of possibilities. On the surface there is double override, Garms pseudo-mobile CE, and double reinforcements. Past that there is all the situational combinations of the GST plus the use of a miniature han cannon . Then throw in the reinforcements and the possibilities are nuts.

Basic Reinforcements
Lobot --> Lando DS or ???
Garm --> R.Vanguards or R.TaunTauns or Golan Tower (:oops:)

any thoughts? They could both be improved I think so any suggestions are welcome.

Post subject: Re: Tourny Decisions
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:01 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Well, first of all, your Imperial squad really needs Grand Admiral Thrawn. It can work without Thrawn, but that extra defense and attack bonus makes a huge difference, not to mention the defense against Force Users. A well placed R2-Kota tow will REALLY ruin your day with that squad. Overall though, it's pretty decent, and should do well against most squads. Just try to keep the Evos out of LOS completely. Any opponent with Accurate Shot will try to go after those first.

The Rebel squad is a pretty standard build. Not convinced Han of Hoth is the best choice, but he's not terrible either. Using Jango instead of Boba means you have no Accurate shot though. However, Golan Turret with Jango's sniper is an excellent combination. If you bring the Golan turret, I would consider using Lobot to bring activations, and if you use Lobot to bring Lando, then bring activations with Garm. You'll need the activations against squads like your Imperial one.

If those were the two squads I had to choose between, it would be tough for me as well.

Post subject: Re: Tourny Decisions
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:11 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

I like the Imperial squad, but like Lobostele said, you need Thrawn, perhaps take out Lando hero of tanaab or take out something else. Thrawn's swap will also help you get an evo trooper into a better position at the end of the round. For the rebel squad I think you should take out Han of Hoth if you want to make it more competive. I would also suggest you use Boba Merc rather than Jango BH cause with intuition its easier to get into a good position for a double cunning attack. I suggest you use Lobot's reinforcements to put in a Gonk and Muun Tactics Broker and use Garm's reinforcements to put in some fodder so you can use the MTB for a while.