logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: 200 point Nom Bomb
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:59 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Well I have decided to take the Nom Challenge this weekend. Someone at my LGS commented to me that Nom Bomb is dead and I said it is very much alive at 200. He went on to try it at 100 and managed to pull a victory using the Felucian Rancor as his Ooglith target (Boba BH can't hit that thing on rolls of less than 8, or 12 if in cover, even after Nom is dead and Accurate Shot again applies).

So here is my idea:

58 Boba Fett, Mercenary (I may opt for BH Boba before this is over just because I know how to play him and that he can be a morale breaker; plus its 2 shots all the time. Flamethrow 20 is handy as well at 200.)
34 Nom Anor
27 Lobot
20 Bith Black Sun Vigo x1
42 Aqualish Assassin x6
16 Gran Raider x4
03 Ugnaught Demolitionist x1 (Ooglithed)

I can add BH Boba by dropping a Gran.

15+ activations, 200 points

With Lobot, I want to bring in an MTB and 4 more Ugs as standard. If my opponent has San, then I will bring Wicket instead of the MTB, typically.

The hard choice is what map to play on, assuming this squad is even competitive.

Feedback is appreciated.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

Post subject: Re: 200 point Nom Bomb
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:17 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Yeah, at 200, it's tough to choose a good map for Nom Bombs, and for me, that's the key thing that is keeping them from being competitive in 200 right now. If Ruined Base and Yavin Temple get officially added to the list of 200 point maps, then one of those two would be my choice for running Nom Bombs at 200.

I'd probably go with Rancor pit though. It's easy enough to force your opponent to have LOS through cover somewhere on that map, at least until you close in enough to start basing/MTB'ing him.

Oh, and I might recommend using some other way to move Boba Merc around if you're going to use him. Intuition to move into position, and then an ASP lift out or something like that. Otherwise, he's going to get pounded. Boba BH may still be the better choice for Nom squads, because you can always get both of his shots off, and still move back out of LOS when necessary.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:39 am 
Name Calling Internet Bully
Name Calling Internet Bully

If you go with Boba Merc, include a zabrak fringer in your reinforcement options. Why? For when you face Han Rogue or San Hill. Boris, check out my squad on my shoebox. I have two Nom 200 options with Merc on there. One with the Francor, and one with all bombs. Both are pretty darn good and competitive. And the thing about maps at 200 is, that really only the starship is a tough one. But there is certainly enough cover to deal with it if your are stuck on it.

I prefer Chancelor's over Rancor, way too much cover in the middle for Nom to not be good on it.

Also, the key to using boba Merc well, is that you dont always have to double with him. Sure, you lose 10dmg potencial from using the 12 square mobile compared to boba BH's 6 square mobile, but 30dmg often means just as much as 40 in today's game. Only leave him out there when it A) allows you to finish a key figure, or B) he has enough hps left or C) you have enough in base to annoy your opponent if he wants to try and shoot Boba.

When I have played it, Boba has died about half the time, but he has always killed way more than his points worth before that point. The only lose I have suffered was from the bad side of Starship against Klescer who had Jango BH, Garm, Luke HoY (who crit twice) and he had Han Rogue, so inits mattered. I lost Boba early to a Jango double move three out of base after a Luke crit/flurry that cleared the way. So I cant look on that one as a bed loss for the squad. Let me know if you need more help with it Boris, as I really think its more than competitive at 200.

And the biggest benefit Boba Merc has over BH is the one round kill of R2PO!! That cannot be overlooked.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:21 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

Looks good, Though for your reinforcements I would suggest a few grans instead of ugs since they will become nom bombs, but it probably woudn't make much difference. I think Boba BH would work better than Boba Merc in this build because of his survivability and having twin attack. The squad has a good amount of activations. The AA's are great nom bombs, one of the only things you'll have to worry about is force sense, but Depa isn't played much and neither is Leia of Cloud city, but Vader Unleashed does see some play though.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:49 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Xanthan wrote:
Looks good, Though for your reinforcements I would suggest a few grans instead of ugs since they will become nom bombs, but it probably woudn't make much difference. I think Boba BH would work better than Boba Merc in this build because of his survivability and having twin attack. The squad has a good amount of activations. The AA's are great nom bombs, one of the only things you'll have to worry about is force sense, but Depa isn't played much and neither is Leia of Cloud city, but Vader Unleashed does see some play though.

My venue where I would play this is, well, odd. I would be more likely to see Admiral Ackbar than any character with Force Sense, even Vader, since most of the people at the store don't have him.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg