logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: POM-POM
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:15 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Here we go with the POM-POM squad (pissed off muun - pissed off muun)
POM1 (San Hill)
Maul, CotS
Boba, merc
Lobot (POM2-MTB and 4 ugs)
Gonk
Quarren Assassin
ASP
Wicket
x3 ugs
199pts/ 11 base activations

The MTB will give me the auto init. If i run into either Rogue or San, i can eithe rgo straight activations if needed (possible San) or go with Lando as a power shooter. Here is what i see in playing it.

The QA gives me an early cunning shot if i want it, but after that i stall. I will Gonk up Boba and then use the ASP to move Boba into position after everyone is activated for a triple. The gonk is also there to get rid of the MTB if needed. If it becomes a melee fight, or some other close quarter fight, Maul will run into position with wicket right behind him. The MTB will then blow San so i can triple cunning (using intuition) and then quad with Maul. If i rage, that is 210pts of damage!

It will take some careful positioning and a fight against another MTB would be interesting. What do you guys think?

Check us out over at Pojo.com

"It appears the Bothans have rooked us again."
-Obi wan

Post subject: Re: POM-POM
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:50 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Boba Merc would probably be your first activation of the round, so the non-Accurate Quarren won't help your squad very much as far as I can tell. I'd drop him and the Gonk for Lando, DS and filler, you can always bring back the Gonk via Reinforcements.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:30 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Well, I think his idea is to get a triple/Accurate shot with Boba at the end of a round, and then Intuition back into cover. The problem is with San, that if you try to use Boba at the beginning of a round, you either have to take just one shot, and move back into cover, or go for the Double (or Triple) and the use the ASP to lift out of the way on your next turn. Obviously, the downside to that is you can get nailed by two opponent's pieces in the meantime. So the strategy is solid.

The only problem I see you having is getting the Gonk into a proper position to use it effectively. What map are you thinking about running this on? With Speed 4, you'll be taking at least 2 or 3 rounds just to get the Gonk into position on most maps.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:46 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Exatly right on the tactics. Boba will wait until the end of the round and triple, using the ASP to get into position and then Intuitioning out of the way. Boba is meant to be a major perk and slowing down melee. The ideal set up will be getting Maul and wicket into position for the quad.

I am thinking the starship hard map will give me the best options. The Gonk has to go the least distance to find a good position. It may be harad to set up the Gonk every game, but if i have to i just ignore it. It is mainly there so i can sacrifice it and kill the MTB. It is a bit cheaper than the ug boss, and i dont have an ug boss yet.

-Obi wan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:53 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Not to mention that using the Ugo boss ties up a total of 18 points (Boss + an Ugo to blow), just for killing the Gonk. And you're screwed if the opponent fines a LOS on your Boss.

Looking at your squad though, I'd probably drop the Gonk and just put the 4 Ugos in the squad to start with. Then bring in MTB and Gonk together with Lobot. Sure, you don't have free fodder to kill anymore, but it gives you added flexibility if you end up in a match where you think you won't want the Gonk.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:59 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

That is probably a good idea because i shouldnt need the gonk if i dont bring the MTB. I was just thinking that i would have four rounds of free fodder to kill before i had to start killing points, but i like your idea.

Of course another thought i just had as well is that the ASP can help move the gonk as well. That could add up to 4 squares of movement if i need to move diagonally.

-Obi wan