Lando Calrisian: HoT
4x Evo Trooper
6x Raxus Prime Trooper
2x uggnaughts

17+ real activations, 200pts even

All troopers and Lando have mobile attack
Possible: 50 dmg + 15 atk Evo Troopers
Possible: 30 dmg + 13 atk Raxus Prime Troopers

I have been toying around this concept for a while.I've seen a number of simlar ideas up on the various boards but Nothing exact yet.

I found the Evo troopers to be rather effective providing that my opponent is activated thus enter Ozzel. Looking through this lens I decided to play up that angle and found that Piett was exactly what I was looking for. After this point I played with a number of ideas ranging from various Vaders to Thrawn to veers to the Felucian commander. Each of these came out with similar results, too many commanders, not enough minions. Most of these variants came out a need to up the survivability of my troopers. Then it came to me, not sure why it didn't earlier (probably 'cause Lando is a good guy in my mind and the empire is bad), mobile attack would be amazing and oh look Lando gives just that plus he is a decent shooter too. The Vader I'm currently using is there to further exploit the opportunist idea; yet in doing this I found out he is very "swappable" with the new "unleashed" version at the expense of that extra +4/+10 he gives. The upside to that is that I gain a better beatstick and force sense which is very useful as this squad will have a pain of a time dealing with stealth.

Biggest downfalls as I see it is that I have little to no control over initiative (Piett has recon but thats only so useful). Which is only mitigated by the fact that I have more activations. I am sure against a skilled opponent that one look at this army and I will have to go first.

I have no accurate shot so I will end up killing fodder for a while no matter what. Stealth can be a big hamper on my day but I'm not sure how much as the stealth game and the game I'm playing are very similar. And my door control is limited to the ugs playing with matches.

That is at least my assessment of this version of the army, any help on this from the more experienced players out there would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to break into more competitive play and I think that this may be a decent shot but the competitive arena is largely unexplored to me.

Post subject: Re: Guerillas Tactics via Empire
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:40 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

It's certainly got a powerful punch to it. The biggest threat to Trooper swarms these days though, are Force Powers, and without Grand Admiral Thrawn in there to help protect the Troopers with Ysalimiri, you'll find yourself dying quickly to a well-played Repulse or Push. Also, characters with Deflect or Evade will really ruin your day.

If you look in the 'Tournament Reports' section of the forums here for the thread I recently started, you'll see the very similar squad I played, and a bit about how I played it. I think it is vastly superior to what you've posted here.

However if you don't have Thrawn, then what you have posted is probably a decent build. I would see if you can squeeze in the Felucian ST Officer though. Even though you have Mobile, you can try to mobile in and out of cover squares, so you're always getting that bonus. The troopers all have decent defenses to start with, but without Thrawn or the Felucian STO, they aren't really that tough to take down.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:07 pm 
Unnamed Stormtrooper
Unnamed Stormtrooper

I just looked at your army and well.....I am really impressed, though I should expect nothing less from you it looks like, and I would only really need to get a Thrawn.

And yes its quite superior to what I have here.

thanks for the response

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:28 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

No problem. And just to clarify, I wasn't trying to sound 'better than you' or anything. Just helping identify the best ways to make your squad better.

I really would try to squeeze in a Felucian STO somewhere in there. If you don't end up facing somebody with major Force powers, you should mop them up anyways.

Those freakin' EVO Troopers are nasty. Just plain nasty. Especially when 3 of them kill Boba Fett BH in one round. :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:52 pm 
Unnamed Stormtrooper
Unnamed Stormtrooper

Well sweet I think I got it now down to a point that really looks fun.

Adding thrawn and squeezing that felucian in was a great call....I am sad to see vader go but it's for the betterment of the empire.

I liked the veers, holo addition but the need for defense is the real winner for me, so veers is out of the question.

Thanks again

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:31 am 
Customizer Extrodinaire
Customizer Extrodinaire

I really like the squad, however I see one problem. Super Stealth will kill it, especially on more open maps unless you swap Vader CotS for VU.

"Genius is 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration."
-Thomas Edison

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:51 am 
Unnamed Stormtrooper
Unnamed Stormtrooper

That is very true.....And I mention that.....however to get super-stealth you'd need to play Nom , or Baccara, or Rebel Commandos.
With the current variation however:

G. Adm Thrawn
Adm. Ozzel
Adm. Piett
Felucian STO
Mas Amedda
Lando Calrisian: HoT
4x Evo Trooper
5x Raxus Prime Trooper
2x uggnaughts

Baccara superstealths only have a +9 to hit (my troopers have a 27 or 26 in cover)
Rebel commandos have a +7 or so (plus grenades but thats in 6 which is dangerous against mobiles)
Noms have to be adjacent to blow up effectively.

Out of the 3 only Nom really worries me as if they get in my face they still blow up.

Plus being mobile means that I can get into better positions shoot and hide.

Yes it would be a interesting match but I think I could come out on top, assuming I don't screw up like I normally do do.