22 Chewbacca of Hoth
19 Princess Leia, Hoth Commander
7 Ugnaught Tech
7 Ugnaught Tech
7 Ugnaught Tech
7 Ugnaught Tech
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist
[200pts. 12 activations]

Position the DF.9s to make a complete wall separating your side of the map from the other. Use the Techs for repair and Chewie to combine fire and repair. The RBSV makes it so he is the only legal target for accurate shooters. Leia's CE works on everyone in the squad besides Chewie (even works on the RBSV).

I don't own 4 DF.9s yet, but I'd like to see how this works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:25 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Oh, and anything with Penetration, or Demolish, or Mobile Attack will really ruin your day. Looks hilarious though. I can just see the looks on someone's face when you drop that squad on the table. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:46 pm 
General
General

LoboStele wrote:
Oh, and anything with Penetration, or Demolish, or Mobile Attack will really ruin your day. Looks hilarious though. I can just see the looks on someone's face when you drop that squad on the table. :P

I was just talking to flea about combatting a mobile squad with this.

I'm going to be sitting on gambit from Round 1, so I have a points advantage unless my opponent either moves someone into gambit or kills one (or more) of my pieces. Most Mobile Attackers won't be able to put enough damage on the turrets to make an impact (because of Damage Reduction and 60 HP worth of repair on my squad). Even if they somehow manage to take a turret down, there's a 25% chance it will come back. It's certainly not fool-proof, but I'm just not sure that Mobile Attack is a huge threat to the squad.

Characters with Demolish:
Mynock
Wookiee Freedom Fighter
Chewbacca, Rebel Hero
Chewbacca, Enraged Wookiee

If any of them charge the line of turrets, I can just repair the damage then tear them to shreds. Doesn't seem like too much of a worry.

Penetration could be more of a problem if people actually played pieces that have it. I don't think there's any piece with Mobile and Penetration though, so my turrets could hopefully return fire pretty well.

I don't know, I'll have to try this and see how it works. My main worry is where exactly to put the turrets on each map.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:48 pm 
General
General

Should be called the Maginot Line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:55 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

shinja wrote:
I was just talking to flea about combatting a mobile squad with this.

I'm going to be sitting on gambit from Round 1, so I have a points advantage unless my opponent either moves someone into gambit or kills one (or more) of my pieces. Most Mobile Attackers won't be able to put enough damage on the turrets to make an impact (because of Damage Reduction and 60 HP worth of repair on my squad). Even if they somehow manage to take a turret down, there's a 25% chance it will come back. It's certainly not fool-proof, but I'm just not sure that Mobile Attack is a huge threat to the squad.

Characters with Demolish:
Mynock
Wookiee Freedom Fighter
Chewbacca, Rebel Hero
Chewbacca, Enraged Wookiee

If any of them charge the line of turrets, I can just repair the damage then tear them to shreds. Doesn't seem like too much of a worry.

Penetration could be more of a problem if people actually played pieces that have it. I don't think there's any piece with Mobile and Penetration though, so my turrets could hopefully return fire pretty well.

I don't know, I'll have to try this and see how it works. My main worry is where exactly to put the turrets on each map.

Well, it really depends on the map too. If you get caught on Throne Room, your opponent ought to be able to approach with WFFs without you getting any shots (or at least not easy ones). 4 WFFs will kill a Turret, so that would be doable in one round I'm pretty sure. Keep the WFF's out of LOS, and make you activate as many of your pieces as possible. You'll be forced to choose between activating your repair pieces, or your shooters, and get either no damage, or no repairing that round. It's a tough call.

Also, an Ozzel/Piett Stormtrooper swarm will give you absolute fits. Especially if it's run like the one I did at my LGS last night, with Lando HoT as well. You'll hardly ever even see the Stormtroopers to shoot them. And the EVO Troopers will pound the Turrets for 40 Damage (DR to 30) every shot. AND, all the Troopers will get to shoot AFTER you've activated everything. So, no repairing after they've shot you. You'd probably lose one turret a round to that as well.

I think it has some potential, and is definitely hilarious, but like any squad, it's going to have certain things that will REALLY diminish it's effectiveness.

Perhaps if you swapped out two of the Turrets for Luke's Snowspeeder. The Ugos and Chewie can repair that as well, and it gives you some mobility for chasing down key pieces that may be harassing you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:06 pm 
General
General

Good points, Lobo.

Mobile Opportunist, 1-at-a-time EVO troopers would chew up my squad. Unless I got a lot of lucky rolls on Leia's CE save, I'd lose for sure. I'd have to have Chewie try to run them down (which certainly wouldn't end well).

I like the idea of using Luke's Snowspeeder. It becomes more similar to my Echo Base squad then:

Luke's Snowspeeder
Rebel Snowspeeder x2
Golan x2
Leia HC
R2-D2

But just changing two Golans to Luke's Snowspeeder would a nice hybrid of the two squads. I'd retain the healing from this squad and some of the mobility from that squad. It could work, I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:00 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

I think something with draw fire could work well, to get the heat off the golan turrets. Perhaps R2P0 for draw fire, ovveride, and disruptive.

http://www.swshoebox.com/userSquad.cfm?user=sirstevee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:41 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

emr131 wrote:
Should be called the Maginot Line.

5 points for the history reference!

But about the squad, I was talking about this idea with the new players I've been training in my area. I had this piece out as an example of some things you can do with gambit. One of them asked me if he could use more than one and it got me thinking. I agree with Lobo, but if its just a fun match I would hope your friends wouldn't be packing lots of EVOs or lots of WFFs. In the fun games I play with the newbies in my area, I normally avoid the more powerful pieces. :) Looks like a blast (he he) though!

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:40 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

SirStevee wrote:
I think something with draw fire could work well, to get the heat off the golan turrets. Perhaps R2P0 for draw fire, ovveride, and disruptive.

Only going to make a difference against Accurate Shooters though, unless you put the disruptive piece in front of the turrets (which I wouldn't recommend either). Most pieces that can quickly do a lot of damage to the turrets don't have Accurate, or are Melee, so Draw Fire won't help much anyways.

Some cheap bodyguarding might be decent though.

Post subject: Re: The Great Wall
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:17 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

I like this squad. One of the most unique squads I have ever seen. Also fits in well with the theme. But Flamethrower 20, and missles 20/30, and grenades 20 and higher will really hurt this squad however. I really want to try out a squad like this one day, as soon as I get enough Hoth turrets.

Post subject: Re: The Great Wall
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:51 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

With 480 health AND damage reduction! Four Golans are a pain in the butt. I think you lack the sufficient damage output, but it definitely looks like a really fun squad. I'm not sure how useful the RBSV will be, a Mobile shooter would probably do better, you can't shoot what you can't see.