logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: New Gamer - Mandalorian Squad
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:42 am 
Unnamed Stormtrooper
Unnamed Stormtrooper

Hey Guys

First post - be gentle :). I turned up at the LGS a coupla nights ago and found myself playing in a 200pt tournament; I didn't expect much as I'd only played 1 game before, having bought a bunch of Bounty Hunter packs for half price. I ran with the following Mandalorian Squad:

Mandalorian Commander [28]
Mandalorian Super Commando [23] x4
Mandalorian Soldier [16] x3
Mandalorian Warrior [14] x2

196 pts.

To my pleasant surprise they won all three games and the tournament!

It felt a little weird playing a squad without any hero characters - everyone else had them - but the Commander's Mobile Attack CE really gave me a huge advantage. I was able to send all four Commandoes out, have them pulp what ever targets were out in the open, then retreat safely behind cover. I found that by the time my opponents' major force-users got into the fray they were already whittled down, and though they hit hard when they got there the were relatively easily dispatched.

Highlights included the 4 Commandoes taking down a TIE tank thingy in one round without a scratch, likewise with the Junk Droid; and in another battle 6 of them took on Darth Malak and survived - well half of them did anyway.

From what I've read most people seem to think Mandalorians are too expensive - but they're tough, and by keeping them on the move, using choke points to force opponents into the open, and by using combined fire to help take down the big'uns - it left me thinking that they're worth every point!

Either that or I just had beginner's luck. I'd be really interested to hear what more experienced gamers would field against this kind of squad so I can figure out their weaknesses. Anyway it was great fun and I'm itching for my next fight.

Bewdy!

Mangalore

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:06 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Actually for your first post this was ABOUTELY HORR.... LOL just kidding. Welcome to the boards!

Anyways I assume you didn't pull Mandalore himself, as he would most likely be in your squad. If you can get your hands on him you will find that he is simply beastly! Double attack for 30 with Evade and Momentum, as well as helping your melée attackers. He costs a lot ( what Mandalorian doesn't) but if you swap one of your normal guys for some Ugnaught Demolitionists/Ewoks for only 3 points. This will help you to outactivate your opponent and have some door holders/blasters so you can save your shooters to shoot, as well as make your opponent finish before you do so they can't react when you attack them (Billiv15 has a link in his sig to an article about activation control).

Also, use that last four points! That's one more activation, one more door holder, and one more shot soaked up for one of your big guns (of which you have a lot of). Anyways, it looks like a good squad and the Mandalorians are a really good beginner faction and I am glad that you are enjoying the game, we are glad to have you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:32 am 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

I like it. It would have some problems against a nom SS squad, and some others. But it sounds like you have more of a relaxed and friendly playing atmostphere.

Personally love the mando faction. :D

http://www.swshoebox.com/userSquad.cfm?user=sirstevee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:49 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Yeah I love the Mandos too, its just a shame that WotC neglects them so much... Hopefully we will see a Mandalorian Boba sometime soon!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:25 am 
Name Calling Internet Bully
Name Calling Internet Bully

Good Mando squad (and welcome to the boards). I mean, how could you not start posting with a Mando squad and be true to your online identity :) Check out the links in my signature for more squad ideas, and in particular for the article that was referenced earlier. The Holocron has several articles that are great for beginning squad construction!

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:53 am 
Unnamed Stormtrooper
Unnamed Stormtrooper

Thanks for the feedback!

Definitely on the lookout for Mandalore the Indomitable, would love to get my paws on him. Strangely enough, most SW Minis traders on eBay won't ship to Australia, which is a bummer, and I'm not really ready to fork out 30 bucks plus shipping for a hunk o' plastic. Hopefully I'll pick one up somewhere.

While those extra few points could definitely be spent on an Ugnaught or Ewok, I'm bit of a stickler for "staying true" to the idea behind each faction. I read somewhere about Mace Windu and Boba Fett going side by side in a battle - just doesn't seem right to me. Mandalorians just wouldn't fight with an ewok in their ranks, except to possibly a) make him the team mascot; or b) to make trail rations out of him... they just seem to be portrayed with this haughty arrogance and in my mind they wouldn't stoop to employ any outsiders to get the job done. Of course this is just my take on the matter, and I'm sure I might be shooting myself in the foot by restricting myself in this way – am I alone in this opinion? Now if there was a Mandalorian Demolitionist or Tech with Override - I'd sign him up in a flash!

I do have a question for the boards though - why are Mandalorians restricted to just the Old Republic Era, when - from what I read the last coupla days online - they turn up just prior to the Clone Wars, and again during the Yuuzhan Vong era under Boba Fett's leadership? I can understand restricting Unique characters to their different time periods, but the non-unique Mandalorians just keep cropping up throughout the Expanded Universe (just too damn hard to kill :)). Anyone able to answer that one?

Bewdy

Mangalore

Last edited by Mangalore on Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:13 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Eh, it's just that the Mandalorians they've made for the Miniatures game so far are all from the Old Republic era. A lot of us are hoping that the Legacy set coming out next year might feature a Boba Fett from the 'new' Mandalorian era.

And I definitely understand your desire to keep the squad 'pure'. A lot of folks around here play pretty competitively, so sometimes their suggestions are based on those facts. If you want to play with squads like this that we typically refer to around here as 'themed', and it works well with the other people that you play with, then more power to you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:26 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

There are different Era's of Mando's as LoboStele says.

As far as Faction pure, there're game Factions and then there's what you deem as Mandalorian. In their later years Mando's were a mercenary group made up with species from many races. And just because Ewoks were shown as friendly balls of fluff in ROTJ that doesn't mean they were all good. When I run Ewoks in my RPG games I play them as tough primatives that are not much more than savages.

Personally I haven't got a problem with just putting squads together Faction + Fringe, but that is down to personal choice. To look on it another way view those games as What If scenario's.

So back to your squad, yeah, that's about as good a squad as you can make with pure mando's. The only problem I've ever found with pure Mando squads is that they are low on activations, and there are plenty of ways for an opponent to eliminate one of those SuperCommando's in a single phase. But who cares about that, it's about having fun, and the fact you won is a bonus 8)