logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: San Hill at 200 points
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:05 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Sithdragon made a comment about a San squad in one of the 150 point threads, and got me thinking....

Boba Fett Mercenary 58
Aurra Sing JH 41
Maris Brood 49
Lobot 27
San Hill 10
Ugos x5 15

200 points even. 10+ activations.

A key tactic would be to bring in a MTB with Lobot and either a Quarren Assassin or Garindan, or more activations. I don't care too much about having to kill off my own Ugos, as I would probably just kill whichever one was sitting out in the gambit ring the previous round. It was probably going to die anyways. :P

Sithdragon's point was that at some point in the game, you could use the MTB to kill off San, therefore giving you two immediate activations at the beginning of a round. With either Maris or Aurra based against somebody, and Boba using Intuition to get into position, that's somewhere between a minimum of 120 to upwards of 180 or more (if Aurra is using Blaster Barrage on 2 or more adjacent Force Users). Even just 60 damage from Boba followed with 60 from Aurra or 80 from Maris would be devastating at the opening of a round. It almost has some B&B properties to it, as you could wait to activate Boba and Aurra/Maris until the very end of one round, and then run them 12 squares into position. Then win init with the MTB killing off San, and dish out some major hurting.

Might be a tad gimmicky, and could be problematic against Han Rogue (in which case, probably wouldn't bring an MTB at all, would probably bring ASP-7 or Wicket/Garindan, or more activations, etc.). The cool thing is, if someone ends up getting killed because of the big attack in one round, you probably still have either Aurra or Maris waiting in the wings.

The last neat thing, is that you can sort of customize based on your opponent. If the opponent has Lightsaber Block, then you use Aurra to go after them. If they just have Deflect, then you send in Maris. If it's only two characters, you might only send in Maris since she can Double/Twin them without a FP. If it's 3 or more, you send Aurra since she can Twin on every one of them. Boba's Double (as opposed to BH's Twin) gives you some needed versatility against the swarm squads as well, which is where I've found San Hill tends to suffer anyways.

Thoughts??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:15 pm 
General
General

It looks cool.

Do you think you have enough fodder to sacrifice to the MTB? You might want to bring an MTB and Gonk for your Reinforcements just to have a way to get rid of the sucker when you don't need him anymore. Or you could bring 4 free Ugos so you have some more breathing room.

Anyway, I like the squad and I certainly wouldn't want to face it without Han Rogue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:28 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I really like it. I would find a way to get either the Ug boss or some other way to make sure you can take out your MTB. It will definately be an agressively played squad. I will try something like it eventually.

Check us out over at Pojo.com

"It appears the Bothans have rooked us again."
-Obi wan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:40 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Well, that's why I like the option of Lobot. If I come up against Han Rogue, then I don't bring in the MTB, I bring Lando or something like that instead. I guess I could bring a Gonk, but I think I'd rather bring 4 Ugos. I think that in 4 rounds I could probably finish up the game rather than killing off two of my activations at one time (Gonk + MTB). If I bring the MTB and 4 Ugos, then that is 9 rounds of Ugos to kill off, plus San and Lobot if necessary. 11 rounds. Maybe in a kill 'em all game it would be a problem, but I've never had an issue in DCI games going that long. I play agressive anyways.

I hear you Dean, and I haven't played San much at the 200 point level, so I'm not sure how this would pan out. I was thinking about it though, and a large part of what I had trouble with at GenCon were the stupid JWMs and once Boba BH went down, Aurra could deal with one JWM pretty easily, but 2 or more were annoying. Also, pieces getting in either Aura or Boba's faces was always annoying, so Maris is there for a little Melee interference, but also for the Push to keep pieces out of adjacency with Aurra (since she can move and still hit twice, she doesn't need to start rounds adjacent to enemies). We'll see. I'll have to test it out.