logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Tile Wars Help
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:00 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

Hey Guys,

I am a noobie to the whole tile wars thing and need some advice. I'm not sure what's good, what's the "meta" or if there even is one, what's "must haves" in squads?

Thanks all :)

Fun Stuff:
In the year 3000 we will combine Youtube, Twitter, and Facebook to create the ultimate website: youtwitface

Post subject: Re: Tile Wars Help
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:07 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Disruptive can be really valuable, but not all squads have it. The ability to do lots of damage to lots of pieces (Unleash the Force, Thought Bomb) can be valuable, but there are hard counters to it. Override cannot close doors, and the Diplomat SA is totally nerfed (you can use the Caamasi Noble but he can be attacked as normal). Being able to do mass amounts of damage all at once can be valuable. Area effect stuff (Flames, Missiles, Nades) can be really useful.

Really, it's Tile Wars...anything can happen on a tile. Pick something you like, and have fun with it. The games go really quickly, so just go in with the mindset that "I'll lose some pieces quickly, but so will my opponent." Apparently sthlrd3 has worked out an uber-awesome TW squad, but almost nobody knows what it is.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:23 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

Things you see more of in Tile Wars than in other formats: Sith Sorcery, Missiles, Grenades with big damage, General Whorm Loathsome w/ Fringe Shooters and/or Sep Beats, Durge BH, Grand Master Luke, Nym (or other mediocre figs that happen to have disruptive), Jar Jar, Any ability that gives you a bonus for being able to see the opponent (like, say, the original Tarkin's activation ability).

A few rules I tend to follow when doing Tile Wars builds: I don't usually want to have more than about 8 figs (when you get past 8, avoiding grenades and so forth can become a problem); I usually try to include disruptive, unless I have some other concept that doesn't allow me the points for disruptive; I tend to err toward characters with innate offensive power or defensive abilities rather than offense or defense that comes from commander effects (since those effects are so easily nerfed); I try not to build squads that are done for if one relatively squishy commander gets killed (since commanders are awfully hard to hide). In short, you want to build a squad that will still be dangerous even when half of it is dead, because half of it will almost certainly be dead even if everything goes your way.

But mostly, get goofy. The great thing about Tile Wars, to be blunt, is that for years Nym has been a meta piece. Nym, for God's sake. The format opens up the possibility of powerful combos that can't work in the regular game, and you can definitely find fun and useful stuff to do with pieces who don't work otherwise. Like the Vong Firebreather, for instance--I've fiddled with it and haven't settled on a squad I love yet, but that thing has the potential to be a monster Tile Wars piece.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:42 pm 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

If you go to Bloomilk and search through the squads that I created (same user name) with "Tile Wars" in the title, there are options for every faction. Here is my personal favorite, the notorious DASS JENNIR SUPERSTAR, which finished third or fourth last year: http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/87009/dass-jennir-superstar--tile-wars-

Ben has some great advice. Goofy squads are the way to go! The squad above is built around AniSTAP and Dass Jennir! The Tile Wars pre-regional in Kokomo went to a squad with Palpatine on Throne and a bunch of bodyguards! Bulkloader and gonk droids have actually earned their keep! It's such a great format.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:39 pm 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

thereisnotry wrote:
Apparently sthlrd3 has worked out an uber-awesome TW squad, but almost nobody knows what it is.

That's Sthlrd2 Trevor, not 3.
And just to brag a little, it's STHLRD2, the first 2 time tile wars regional champion, and the only multiple tw regional champion.

Now more to on topic. I won a tw regional with t-series, a-series droids. Their damn good in tw. And won with the firebreather although I will say with all honesty that I'm not sold on a firebreather in tw. It took some luck for me to win with that. Disruptive is huge (as everyone else has said). I will go on record and say that I don't believe zannah and GOWK are going to do anything in tile wars except cause 2pnt victories or even double losses. Zannah is survivable in tw no doubt but it's a crutch piece that people think they can't die. But in tile wars it's 30 min or less for 3 pnt victories, 30-45 min for a 2pnt victory. 45 min. time is called and is a double loss. I Absolutly Hate Zannah and GOWK in tile wars and dynamic, and epic duos. Maybe that's just a rant from me but that's my honest opinion.

As for my secret tile wars squad, yes I have a top secret squad that I love. It's creative enough that I will say that I don't believe we will see another squad like it at Gen Con. Tim's prediction of me winning it might have just jinxed me, but at the very least it's a mega fun squad to play espicially since no one else will be playing it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:33 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

sthlrd2 wrote:
thereisnotry wrote:
Apparently sthlrd3 has worked out an uber-awesome TW squad, but almost nobody knows what it is.

That's Sthlrd2 Trevor, not 3.
And just to brag a little, it's STHLRD2, the first 2 time tile wars regional champion, and the only multiple tw regional champion.

Oops, sorry Jake. Epic fail by me! :oops:

sthlrd2 wrote:
As for my secret tile wars squad, yes I have a top secret squad that I love. It's creative enough that I will say that I don't believe we will see another squad like it at Gen Con. Tim's prediction of me winning it might have just jinxed me, but at the very least it's a mega fun squad to play espicially since no one else will be playing it.

And yes, I think my squad will be similar to yours: Ugnaught Bombs all the way!!!! :maul:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:42 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Last year's winning squad was made and run masterfully by Chris Pulis. It was Thrawn, Palp on Throne, Prince Xizor, Arica, GM Tarkin and Joruus Cboath. He ran it in the droid factoy tile, and stuck Potty Palp up front. Palp was an evading brick that you can't get by, that lightnings and pushes anyone into the side pits that got close. Arica gets to go first and blaster barrage everyone, then GM Tarkin allows 2 more activations in the first phase, so Joruus force dominates Arica to do it all again, and thrawn swaps her to safety. Amazing build, still scarey.

I promised I wouldn't copy Jake's squad, and it is hard to beat. So creative, I doubt we'll see anything like it.

I'll be playing TW for the first time at GenCon. Fully expect to go 2-2. I've settled on a squad that is pretty tough, but I bet we'll see a few that are somewhat similar, but not exactly. Mine has the edge on a lot of squads, but ironically will fall to similar squads. Hard to explain while being cryptic.

I really like my Rebel SpecForce Vanguard squad. Craploads of mines saves, and missiles out the wazoo.

Bryan Hole rocked the IN regional with Revan SL, Kaan, Zannah and Exar DFS. Exar pops his Dark Aura, and then Revan sprints in and swaps Kaan, who blows up and nails every living thing for 80. Ouch! Then Zannah and Revan clean up.

Side note - I hate Zannah!

But bottom line is this - TILE WARS is fun and fast and there are so many viable squads. Jake blew me away with the creativity and power of his squad, I would have NEVER thought of it. Same goes for Chris's winning squad last year. I'm sure there are more out there waiting to be discovered.