I used this squad successfully, last Saturday:

Lord Vader
Mas/Thrawn
Felucian STO
Storm Commando x2
Scout Trooper
Raxus Prime Trooper x2
Stormtrooper x3

The blend was very nice. I used the stealthy Scout for gambit points and swapping. When I needed a boost to the SC's or RPT's attacks, I acted the STs. I didn't have a lot of activations for 200, so I needed every edge I could get to keep them alive, hence the FSTO and STs. However, I didn't want to completely skip having 5pt attackers for 20dmg, so I had the 2 RPTs for when I had the shot.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Last edited by Menoths Fire on Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:29 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

How are you getting the RPTs to do 30dmg shots? They are 10 base with Vader's +10 Advantageous. Nice idea with using the SCs with LV's CE though. 40 Damage shots. :D

You should see if there's a way to squeeze in Grand Moff Tarkin so you can get off the LV quad, Thrawn swap in a SC, then Double/Cunning/Advantageous attacks. That'd be 200 damage against an unactivated target. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:02 am 
General
General

LoboStele wrote:
How are you getting the RPTs to do 30dmg shots? They are 10 base with Vader's +10 Advantageous. Nice idea with using the SCs with LV's CE though. 40 Damage shots. :D

You should see if there's a way to squeeze in Grand Moff Tarkin so you can get off the LV quad, Thrawn swap in a SC, then Double/Cunning/Advantageous attacks. That'd be 200 damage against an unactivated target. :D

Oops: Typo (I was probablly thinking of my squad with Piett). Edited.

I absolutely love LV, as his Master2, leap, assault/twin means I can (with Thrawn's help) bum-rush my opponents fast! I rarely play conservatively as I don't have the patience for it and too many of my opponents' builds require careful, defensive play. Too many players just don't know what to do when they realize that I'm willing to sacrifice a 71pt model in order to cripple them for the rest of the game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:50 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Looks good, I agree that Tarkin would be a great addition.

LV with SCs is brutal, 40 damage 4 times is 160 damage, that will kill almost anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:45 am 
General
General

adder wrote:
Looks good, I agree that Tarkin would be a great addition.

LV with SCs is brutal, 40 damage 4 times is 160 damage, that will kill almost anything.

If I was playing a 250pt game, sure. But what can I afford to take out? It would also be great if I could put in a STO, veers and Piett. In fact, Veers would be my choice before Tarkin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:20 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Take out a Stormtrooper/RPT and the Scout Trooper and that gives you enough space for Tarkin and an Ugo. Although, in some situations, I've been more inclined to spread out the damage over a couple rounds rather than run Tarkin and get the 3-in-one-phase gimmick. I usually end up getting Tarkin killed on accident too early.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:40 pm 
General
General

LoboStele wrote:
Take out a Stormtrooper/RPT and the Scout Trooper and that gives you enough space for Tarkin and an Ugo. Although, in some situations, I've been more inclined to spread out the damage over a couple rounds rather than run Tarkin and get the 3-in-one-phase gimmick. I usually end up getting Tarkin killed on accident too early.

But if I'm standing still with LV, I can just Assault and get an extra attack anyway for 1 FP. And I get no benefit when I have to use that great mobility of LV that I mentioned earlier. If he were to have double already that's one thing. Besides, I would lose 2 attacker/combiners and I need those to hit the superhigh def, even with my SC. No way is he worth it; I really don't understand what Tarkin is bringing to the tabel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:04 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Tarkin allows you to quad attack with LV, then activate Thrawn to swap out Vader for the SC. Then the SC Double/Cunnings on the same target. Potentially 200 damage. From what I've seen, Tarkin only seems to be included in squads for the purpose of making one huge move late in the game. Use him in one round to draw out your activations to make sure you go last, allowing Thrawn, Vader, and a trooper to go last in order to base and attack an enemy after the opponent is completely activated. Then starting off the next round with 3 activations for lots of damage instead of just using Vader and swaping in the Stormie to get killed off.

The other cool thing you could do with Tarkin is to swap out Lord Vader with a Raxus Prime Trooper. In the right situations, you might be able to use Wall Climber to help the RPT escape whatever he is based against and run back 12 squares into hiding. This gets both Vader and the RPT away to safety. Again though, that usually leaves Tarkin in the open to get wailed on. Like I said before, I still haven't quite learned how to use him effectively myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:28 pm 
General
General

LoboStele wrote:
Tarkin allows you to quad attack with LV, then activate Thrawn to swap out Vader for the SC. Then the SC Double/Cunnings on the same target. Potentially 200 damage. From what I've seen, Tarkin only seems to be included in squads for the purpose of making one huge move late in the game. Use him in one round to draw out your activations to make sure you go last, allowing Thrawn, Vader, and a trooper to go last in order to base and attack an enemy after the opponent is completely activated. Then starting off the next round with 3 activations for lots of damage instead of just using Vader and swaping in the Stormie to get killed off.

The other cool thing you could do with Tarkin is to swap out Lord Vader with a Raxus Prime Trooper. In the right situations, you might be able to use Wall Climber to help the RPT escape whatever he is based against and run back 12 squares into hiding. This gets both Vader and the RPT away to safety. Again though, that usually leaves Tarkin in the open to get wailed on. Like I said before, I still haven't quite learned how to use him effectively myself.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :oops:

Here I was thinking that you were talking about the new Tarkin! I went back and see that you specifically stated "Grand Moff Tarkin."

Yeah, he helps out thrawn swap, really well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:53 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

LOL

Yeah, Imperial Gov Tarkin only helps Thrawn, Vader, and the FSTO in your original build. I should've realized that was what you meant when you said something about Vader using Double Attack.