logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Re: Maxed Out Maidens (moms) AKA MI Regional Champ Squad
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:28 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Yeah, Yobuck is bad, because you can't kill one with one Gallop, so you either stop to kill it, or give up the free Twin on an AoO. It sort of adds up for Yobuck. It would be interesting to see it vs the Quednak. Cheaper, more likely to kill on a Gallop depending on the build, and hides in the Cloaked.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:33 pm 
Major Tierce
Major Tierce

I beat Matt and his 2 quedneks (1 was reserves on rd 2) at the regional but yeah the queds can be quite a bit to handle if they can get to 40 damage to kill a handmaiden in 1 shot.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:31 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

TheHutts wrote:
Jedi_Master wrote:
Where is the smiley that hits its head against a wall repeatedly when you need it?

Out of curiosity, do you post as Neifi on Bloomilk?

Nope, Jedi_master there too.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:56 pm 
Name Calling Internet Bully

I've still never figured out how Jason beats a good Yoda player with it. But he consistently does lol.

Also, please don't underestimate two additional factors. He plays this on Jabba's Palace where it's nearly impossible to beat him, and it's Jason - who is no slouch of a player. Just because you can beat your local yodal does not mean you could or would even get close to beating him with it.

Jason overplays the bad match ups and works them down to perfection, which is what I've long said you have to do in the V-set metas. You smoke what you can smoke, then learn to out play your opponent rather than the squad in the bad matches, and you come out on top more often than not. He does this as well as anyone in the game right now.

Of course it also helps when several of the HoFers playing in the tournament actually try new squads, and he's playing one for the 150th time :) but I won't give him too much crap for that...

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:09 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I think as Jason stated, the Quednaks would give him trouble if they get them to 40 dam a hit. The issue with Yobuck is, that he can't kill one off the bat. And I definately seeing most players NOT giving up the AoOs to damage the rest. So he stops, and swaps, leaving whatever is left open to an assault by his remaining Echanis. The issue with Yoda is, he can only hit for 20 and still move.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:16 pm 

Sithborg wrote:
I think as Jason stated, the Quednaks would give him trouble if they get them to 40 dam a hit. The issue with Yobuck is, that he can't kill one off the bat. And I definately seeing most players NOT giving up the AoOs to damage the rest. So he stops, and swaps, leaving whatever is left open to an assault by his remaining Echanis. The issue with Yoda is, he can only hit for 20 and still move.

See that's where I'd differ the assault. Yoda can take 2 full opp twins and survive. So you tow on your first activation, somewhere safe, then on turn 2, run 26 and swap in a rodian. That's either 120 on yoda and 20 on each echani (probably something on thrawn/etc as well) and probably a dead R2 and brute. But that's game. All you need now is one more swap n gallop and his attackers are dead. But that's all theory. I've watched him overcome this several times. All though one of these days maybe Jason and I need to play the match up together.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:16 am 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

billiv15 wrote:
Just because you can beat your local yodal does not mean you could or would even get close to beating him with it.

I'm assuming this is partially aimed at my post, about having a straightforward game with an Old Republic build against this squad; I'd like to point out that:
i) I won map roll, so I was playing on my choice of map, which was Ruined Base, where it was relatively easy to protect Bastila. My perception would have been different on a more open map.
ii) The match was between two equally skilled players; we ended up 1st and 2nd in the tournament we were playing in, so I think it's a fair example to bring up.
iii) I think having Lobot gives me good options to bring in to help in that matchup. In this game I bought in extra override to outtech my opponent, while I think Figrin D'an would also be a good option to help protect Bastila on a more open map, against accurate shooters. If my opponent swapped in an Echani to target Bastila, if I position correctly, I should be able to make them target Figrin, and if Figrin can make one of his first two evades, I think it means Bastila goes through the phase unscathed.

I didn't mean any disrespect to UrbanJedi, and I'm sure he would smoke me in a game, especially if he got to choose map, but I do think that a beefy Old Republic squad is a tough matchup for Echanis. If I turn off accurate shot and the other CEs, you have to spend the whole round shooting at my Seer for 10 damage shots, which I can evade. I guess it comes down to if I can advance safely and protect Bastila for the first 2-3 rounds, while she builds up force points.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:17 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

billiv15 wrote:
Sithborg wrote:

See that's where I'd differ the assault. Yoda can take 2 full opp twins and survive. So you tow on your first activation, somewhere safe, then on turn 2, run 26 and swap in a rodian. That's either 120 on yoda and 20 on each echani (probably something on thrawn/etc as well) and probably a dead R2 and brute. But that's game. All you need now is one more swap n gallop and his attackers are dead. But that's all theory. I've watched him overcome this several times. All though one of these days maybe Jason and I need to play the match up together.

Exactly. You should be able to outact him and do this as well. Skybuck maxes at 15 so you can save Panaka, r2, and Yoda for your last acts. If you try and do it too early he can just override himself in safely and assault on the following round.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:26 pm 
Major Tierce
Major Tierce

It can def depend on map but the easiest way to beat Yobuck is to stay away. It also is a problem because I know I am going first. Either I get to kill the guys you are swapping into before the swap or I pound you after the swap as you can't get it on both ends. I also stay spread out enough that you can't get to all my guys. Very similar to how you would set up against Lancer. If you hide to far away then you can't get anywhere with Tow/swap and if you aren't hidden well enough I bomb you with an Echani. It takes 6 hits on Kybuck to toast him. If you are close enough to get to an Echani and stop and kill her (16 away) then I am probably in a position to blast you from somewhere for 120. If you try and keep Yoda away I will either shoot the fodder that you advanced (unless you just keep everyone in the back) or work a way to get to yoda and let you use up a gallop/swap on a rodian. Once activations start equalling out or I get to some neat spots then I just line up on yoda and blast away.

It isn't necessarily the easiest matchup, but certainly isn't impossible.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:32 pm 
Major Tierce
Major Tierce

Weeks wrote:
billiv15 wrote:
Sithborg wrote:

Exactly. You should be able to outact him and do this as well. Skybuck maxes at 15 so you can save Panaka, r2, and Yoda for your last acts. If you try and do it too early he can just override himself in safely and assault on the following round.

LOL, I cannot override myself in as I don't know how to override closed lol. I can open the door and blast you though. On most maps after set-up it will be pretty obv where and how far you can get to. I just have to stop you from getting there and its all fine.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:35 pm 
Major Tierce
Major Tierce

Most difficult squads for this are things like "stealth and blue" and big beef OR. If you can keep all the CEs at bay I'm not sure I can take out all the beef before it gets to me just make sure the game is over before round 5 or you are in big trouble mister.

SS and cloaked squads are also a pain but can be beaten as well.