logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Republic Handmaidens
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:21 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

This idea i cannot take full credit for by any means, in our local group kenny was talking about a figure that i had never heard of and had peaked my interest and thought well why not i might as well o for it i found it and bought it and now is being shipped and should have it by next week.

Republic handmaidens

Atris
admiral Yularen
Mas
Captian Panaka
jabba crime lord
r2-d2 astromech
echani handmaiden x3
rodian diplomats x2
uggy x2

199 points total

this was the original build i really liked it just becuse of the additional movement breakers with r2 and panaka and with the diplomats as well i really thought that it would do very well.

well we started talking and we thought we i dont have lobot in there and well certain things could really mess me up so maybe instead of having stupid plus which are good dont get me wrong but maybe take out jabba and add others so we started running other ideas and took jabba out and here are some ideas that we had for 16 points to be able to be filling by:

Momaw Naden-for mouse walls or vong workers or so on and so fourth

or

R7 astromech droid- so i would be able to have two forms of overide
rodian brutes x2-more swap targets and fodder

or

Figrin D'an- another form of protection for the handmaidens against shooters having this tied in with the diplomats i thought would be a really good idea to have a scape goat
rodian brute x2- more swap targets and fodder

so last nights play test went horrible one because i was facing bastilla and the second i was facing Mira. i dont think i did any damage to any of the big shooters but, i still have not given up on the idea. how i played this last night was with out jabba and with momaw nodan

Post subject: Re: Republic Handmaidens
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:01 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

I've played with Republic handmaidens for fun - I like Brianna with Ferus Olin bodyguarding her and a Czerka - but I think for tournaments, you always want to go with Imperials and Pallaeon for handmaidens. Otherwise it's a straight auto-loss against a well run Bastila squad every time.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:04 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

yeah that is what i figured out last night was sitting there and as she lit bastilla the first thought that went through my head was, this would effect me near as bad if i had paleleon....face palm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:48 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

66 Echani Handmaiden x3
41 Atris
32 Thrawn
16 R7 Astromech Droid x2
16 Admiral Pellaeon
11 Admiral Ozzel
09 Wuher
06 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2
03 Rodian Brute x1

Use Wuher to kill the screens/scrubs and then hit the big guys with the Handmaidens. In more casual games I run a pair of Grans over the second R7.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:40 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Grand Moff Boris wrote:
66 Echani Handmaiden x3
41 Atris
32 Thrawn
16 R7 Astromech Droid x2
16 Admiral Pellaeon
11 Admiral Ozzel
09 Wuher
06 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2
03 Rodian Brute x1

Use Wuher to kill the screens/scrubs and then hit the big guys with the Handmaidens. In more casual games I run a pair of Grans over the second R7.

Mas Amedda may be a good call here :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:41 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Whoops. How did I miss that? :P

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:52 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

As one of the original developers of the Atris/Echani squads, I really don't think they can work in Republic (and I did try that first--I'd recently re-acquired Yularen when DoF came out). Imperial versions are much stronger.

But it's not the ysalamiri bubble that's the important thing, in my opinion. The really crucial thing the Echanis have access to in Imperials that they don't in Republic squads is Accurate Shot (through General Veers). Let's face it, when you're playing with Echanis, you're necessarily relying on VERY low-HP characters to do your dirty work. The only way for them to survive is if they can pick their targets and not get stuck shooting at fodder.

There's no question that Bastilla is a VERY difficult matchup for this build. It's not impossible, but it's tough. J and I tried to find a way to fit Grand Admiral Thrawn/Pellaeon into the squad, but it didn't leave much room for things like door control and swap fodder. Even if you go with Mit'thrawn, you're only looking at 24 extra points, and that's if you don't include Mas Amedda. Actually, I'd argue that in this kind of build, you might not need Mas--if you're trying to keep all your Echanis AND commanders within six squares of Pellaeon, you probably won't have much need to extend the range of your CEs beyond what can be done with mouse droids. However, you also won't get Jabba, Crime Lord, who I think is a HUGE benefit in a squad with Master Tactician and relatively few activations. In my experience, against squads that are designed to out-activate you, Cunning is a great way to throw your opponent off his game.

There's also likely to be some difficulty keeping everybody safe from the heavy OR shooters if they're clustered around Pellaeon. I might be wrong there--although in any case, it seems very map-specific.

I'm not trying to argue that the build I came up with is always the best build with Atris--I honestly haven't revisited it in a long time, and I never really played it that much. But I do think that the most important characteristic of the squad is the Accurate Shot from General Veers, and you're going to have a MUCH harder time without it.