45 Mara Jade, Jedi
33 Jaden Korr
29 Ganner Rhysode
27 Lobot
9 General Dodonna
3 Mouse Droid
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist

(199pts. 8 activations)

Yep, it's Solo Charge with Jaden over Anakin. You lose Gha, which means your activations are topping out at 14 acts instead of 19. Jaden obviously does worse against opposing swarms because you lose the big AoE from Anakin, but he brings a lot of advantages. High Defense and twice the HP means he should stick around longer (although losing Block does come into play there), and a higher attack plus Crowd Fighting means he's a bit better at attacking when he isn't using his force powers.

The obvious big trade is that you lose Unleash The Force but gain Force Push 5. FP5 is more reliable damage (always 50 instead of sometimes 60, sometimes 30), but has a slightly lower ceiling . UtF obviously hits a lot more targets which can be really good, but the save 16 for activation on the Push can be a real game changer. Plus you get moved 5 squares (which really is a lot and can mess up you placement badly). You'll probably only get 1 good target in the Push 5 (most good players won't let you hit multiple big guys with the Push), but Ganner's Push 2 can help set that up, especially over multiple rounds (Push with Ganner, move Jaden into place, next round hit 2 enemies with FP5). But again, that's relying on a mistake of your opponent. The presence of that strategy, though, can sometimes force your opponent to play less optimally than if that option wasn't there. It also screws up Bodyguards.

Other than the Push, Jaden's Lightning 2 and Grip 2 gives him lots of options for offense. With Anakin if you don't get a good UtF he usually just spends the game pushing, which is alright, but with Jaden if you don't get a good FP5 you keep using Lightning, which is usually better (30 damage and multi-target).

I'm not sold on Jaden over Anakin, but I think it's interesting. If squads like LeGOWKcy remain popular with just a few activations and mostly big beatsticks (things that UtF isn't that strong against), I think this might be a better option than standard Solo Charge.

"You can't per aspera ad astra unless there's some aspera in front of your astra. And that means sometimes the aspera gets you." - Donald X. Vaccarino

Post subject: Re: Jade 'n' Korr
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:15 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

I heard you mention that on SHNN a week or two ago - it sounds like a good idea. We don't generally have so many activations in our meta (normally tops out at about 15-20, unless the Poggle bomb guy brings his Poggle bombs) so it would probably be a good meta call for our local group.

Have people been trying Solo Charge variations with R2-PO? I ran this the other day and it did well - it doesn't necessarily get full use of Blaster Upgrade, but the disruptive and the bodyguard makes it well worth running R2-PO IMO. Are there reasons why R2-PO doesn't synergise well with Ganner and Mara?

--C-3PO Charge--
45 Mara Jade, Jedi
29 Ganner Rhysode
28 Dash Rendar, Renegade Smuggler
27 Lobot
23 Anakin Solo
22 R2-D2 and C-3PO, Galactic Heroes
10 Jagged Fel
9 General Dodonna
6 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2

Another option would be to swap out Dash and Jagged for a couple of those new Galactic Alliance Special Guards, but they're a bit more fragile than the Dash/Jagged combo if you're up against the Lancer or against Accurate shooters.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:31 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

TheHutts wrote:
I heard you mention that on SHNN a week or two ago - it sounds like a good idea. We don't generally have so many activations in our meta (normally tops out at about 15-20, unless the Poggle bomb guy brings his Poggle bombs) so it would probably be a good meta call for our local group.

Have people been trying Solo Charge variations with R2-PO? I ran this the other day and it did well - it doesn't necessarily get full use of Blaster Upgrade, but the disruptive and the bodyguard makes it well worth running R2-PO IMO. Are there reasons why R2-PO doesn't synergise well with Ganner and Mara?

--C-3PO Charge--
45 Mara Jade, Jedi
29 Ganner Rhysode
28 Dash Rendar, Renegade Smuggler
27 Lobot
23 Anakin Solo
22 R2-D2 and C-3PO, Galactic Heroes
10 Jagged Fel
9 General Dodonna
6 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2

Another option would be to swap out Dash and Jagged for a couple of those new Galactic Alliance Special Guards, but they're a bit more fragile than the Dash/Jagged combo if you're up against the Lancer or against Accurate shooters.

Well, I think that R2-PO just doesn't bring enough to the table in that squad compared to Solo Charge. Solo Charge still has Disruptive from Han, so basically you're paring Han down to Dash + Jagged and getting a Bodyguard out of it. Now, I really love R2-PO as a Bodyguard, and Dash + Jagged is always a solid choice, but I think it's hard to argue for them over Han. On the other hand, you have more balanced attackers with an Opportunist AND a Cunning attacker instead of having two Cunning attackers. It's an interesting option; I'd have to play with it before really saying whether it's better or worse than straight Solo Charge.

"You can't per aspera ad astra unless there's some aspera in front of your astra. And that means sometimes the aspera gets you." - Donald X. Vaccarino

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:44 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

Thank you - sorry to hijack your thread a little bit.

I'm not trying to argue that it's better - I'm more just thinking of it as a viable variation that plays a little differently, and I like the idea of including a lower cost Disruptive piece to slot in an extra attacker. That Ganner, Mara, Dodonna core is so solid that there are quite a few different things you can build around it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:31 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I like this better then solo charge personally. Jaden's bag of tricks is worth losing the 5 acts for.

His push 5 forces teams to spread out, which in turn helps Mara get in, out, and around easier.

Lightning 2 is still your bread and butter. Gannet pushes the front guy next to the second guy and the Jaden zaps both of them.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:15 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Yep, I like this one a lot better too...Anakin was so fragile, and the save16 activation is A+.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:59 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

Echo wrote:
Well, I think that R2-PO just doesn't bring enough to the table in that squad compared to Solo Charge. Solo Charge still has Disruptive from Han, so basically you're paring Han down to Dash + Jagged and getting a Bodyguard out of it. Now, I really love R2-PO as a Bodyguard, and Dash + Jagged is always a solid choice, but I think it's hard to argue for them over Han. On the other hand, you have more balanced attackers with an Opportunist AND a Cunning attacker instead of having two Cunning attackers. It's an interesting option; I'd have to play with it before really saying whether it's better or worse than straight Solo Charge.

I've tried the Dash one again, and it's performed pretty well - the extra damage output is helpful. But, in theory (I haven't played it yet), I think the matchup where Han is essential is against Pallaeon. Han can pick him off with accurate, so it's harder for him to neuter all the Lightsaber Assaults, Force Pushes, etc. I don't think Dash really swings a game like Han does, even if the extra damage output and bodyguar can be incrementally better in some games.

We just finished out 2011 Hutt Regional last weekend, which we were playing under the rules and pieces we started with, so I can play Jaden Korr now. Totally keen to give your Jaden Korr squad a run, as I'm anticipating seeing quite a bit of GOWK, Zannah, Windu, etc.