logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Action Jax'n
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:49 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

Ok here's my first run at this one. I would love some feedback on it.

40 Carnor Jax
32 Thrawn
22 Imperial Governor Tarkin
36 TBSV x2
16 Admiral Gilad Pallaeon
13 Czerka Scientist
8 Mas Amedda
16 R7 x2
5 Imperial Dignitary
9 Rodian Brute x3
3 Uggnaught Demo

(200 points - 15 activations)

Pallaeon is there exclusively as an anti-Bastilla piece. No Lobot in case of Tyber Zann.

Post subject: Re: Action Jax'n
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:26 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I don't really see a need for Mithrawn in the squad. TBSV's already have Opportunist and Opportunist will probably be hardly used on Carnor Jax since when you win init you'll use Cunning Attack, as he is the only cunning attacker in the squad. Might as well go with the old Thrawn and drop Palleaon to keep the Ysalmiri and that way you'll free up some of the squad for other mini's.

Love the name by the way! 8-)

Aliit ori'shya tal'din ("Family is more than Blood")
To learn Mandalorian, go to http://www.karentraviss.com/html/mando.htm.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:31 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

GalacticFunk wrote:
No Lobot in case of Tyber Zann.

A little voice in my head just said "Mission Accomplished". As a designer on Vengeance, that was the best thing I've read all day.

On the topic of the squad, it's a pretty interesting take on the TBSV-cannon squads. The main problem those kinds of squads have is that if you DON'T out-activate, your damage output drops like a brick since your TBSVs are putting out much less damage. In your squad they do a mere 40 damage against activated enemies and only shoot at +9, but get to a very nice 120 damage each at +13 against something that has activated. Jolt on them helps, of course, but you won't be hitting as much with just a +9. However, Carnor gives you some options, since he can dish out 120 damage himself against people that haven't activated.

It has some weaknesses (there's nothing you can do against a Lancer), but I think it could very easily beat up on the so-called "Rock" squads that are popular now (the big beat, low activation squads) because you've got a lot of firepower and Force Immunity (which means no SSM re-rolls for Zannah or GOWK!).

One thing I would suggest is dropping a few points and getting Ozzel in there. You could drop an R7 and the Dignitary for him, or both R7s and the Dignitary for him and 3 Ugnaughts. That actually buys you 1 activation and still keeps you with a reasonable amount of door control (4 Uggies), and gives you activation control. You could drop one of the Ugnaughts for another Rodian Brute to help with swapping if you wanted. With Ozzel, though, you out-activate any squads that don't have activation control themselves and have less than 32 activations, or squads with activation control and less than you. If you don't out-activate with him, though, you can use Palleaon's CE to drop him for something else (Jagged Fel is nice because he's a swapper with 60 HP and a pretty solid attacker (especially since you give him Twin with the Czerka!), or you could do the Bothan Saboteur for another beefier Satchel Charge piece, or even go back to an Imperial Dignitary for the Diplomat swapper). Outactivating is so strong in this squad with the 120 damage from each TBSV that you want to do it as much as possible, and Ozzel helps you out a lot there, and with Palleaon you don't have to worry about having Ozzel when you don't want him (basically when you would be outactivated anyway, because he seriously inhibits the mid-round swap).

"You can't per aspera ad astra unless there's some aspera in front of your astra. And that means sometimes the aspera gets you." - Donald X. Vaccarino

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:37 am 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

Thanks for the great feedback guys!

@obikenobi1: I went w/ IE Thrawn over GAThrawn thinking of SSM when facing Zannah or GOWK. The thought being I could swap in Carnor Jax at the end of the round and only have to roll a 3 or 4 to hit. Then figuring SSM is going to negate half the damage on average I can try and finish them off at the beginning of the next round. 3's and 4's will be much easier than 7's and 8's.

@echo: Yeah, its too dicey at this point to rely on Lobot to bring in your filler pieces. Congratulations on a job well done!

Thanks for the feedback on Ozzel. I knew I wanted him in there but didn't want to rely in just uggies for door control.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:37 am 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

Alright I changed it. Much, much happier with this (thanks echo).

40 Carnor Jax
32 Thrawn
22 Imp. Gov. Tarkin
36 TBSV x2
16 Pallaeon
13 Czerka
11 Ozzel
8 Mas
4 Gran Raider
6 Rodian Brute x2
12 Uggie Demo x4

(200 points - 16 activations)

Looking forward to trying this out.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:48 am 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

Yeah, love seeing Pellaeon in there with Ozzel. Ozzel is great, but he can also be a big weakness by messing up your ability to swap. So having a way to drop him when it's advantageous to you is a big help.