logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Crazy Houjix: Reuben's Gencon Squad
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:58 am 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

Okay, my buddy Reuben would never get on here and post this since he would perceive it as bragging about himself. But I feel like this squad should be preserved for posterity, since it was one of the more creative builds that did well in this year's Gencon Championship Tourney.

54 Cad Bane
49 The Jedi Exile
33 Bastila, JM
28 Dash Rendar
21 Houjix
9 Mouse Droid x3
6 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2

Map: Hall of Judgement

Reuben had been trying all year to build an effective Bastila-Exile-Cad squad, and he always ran into the problem that the Exile (and to a lesser extent Cad) is too difficult to keep alive for a piece that is so expensive. Solution: a piece that can bodyguard twelve squares and is cheap for its cost, at a moment when direct damage isn't especially prevalent in the meta. So the way that Reuben played this, when he won map roll, was that everyone but Bastila moves right down the middle of the map in a sort of phalanx around the Houjix, with the three mice out front to screen, and then the uggies blow the two doors in the middle of the map at the start of the second round, meaning that virtually the whole map is open for Cad and Dash to start blasting away.

The first time I saw this squad, when we were practicing for Gencon, I was playing Solo Charge, and saw Reuben pull out this OR squad with a Dejarik piece, and thought to myself, "Sweet, I kill the Houjix with accurate, and then I do door tricks, and then I win." By the time the game was over I was telling Reuben that he had to run this thing at Gencon. It's a tough matchup for Solo Charge, and really, if it wins map roll, it's a tricky matchup for anything if the uggies manage to get the central doors blown. It's probably not Tier One, but it has some good matchups with Tier One stuff, especially on shooter-friendly maps.

Crazy Houjix is obviously vulnerable to a lot of stuff, including squads with lots of override on maps with lots of doors, which was what this squad lost to in round 6 at Gencon to keep it out of the Top 8 (Ricky's squad). Still, it finished 14th at Gencon, and in the championship tourney it defeated a national champ (Deri) and a regional champ (yours truly). Its only losses were to players that made the Top 8.

On the way home from Indy, Matt Spry and I were talking about this build in the car, and he threw out this squad idea:

Crazy Houjix 2.0: The Houjixing

49 Jedi Exile
36 Atton "Jaq" Rand
33 Bastila JM
28 Dash Rendar
21 Houjix
18 Klatoonian Captain
9 Mouse x3
6 Uggy x2

Atton only does a potential 120 compared to Cad's potential 180, but the Klatoonian's splash can help to deal w/ mouse walls, and Atton and Dash are now Speed 8 w/ Greater Mobile. The big thing, though, is that you pick up override, which makes map roll less of a do-or-die scenario.

Post subject: Re: Crazy Houjix: Reuben's Gencon Squad
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:10 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I really like the second build. The Klatoonian can be quite a threat as well, making the Houjix a double Bodyguard. The Klatoonian can get 80 dam when he gets up close, so I think the damage you lose from Cad Bane down to Jaq balances. And Jaq does better against, say, an opposing Bastilla squad with a bunch of non-unique Jedi.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:34 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

After hearing about a Houjix squad I figured it would have to be ruebin playing it lol. Well done sir!

I'd look into carth over dash in that squad. If you can toss in a senator he gets even meaner doing 230 at the top of the round.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:20 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Yeah, when I saw this squad, and the insane damage output it had, I was nervous. I was playing Solo Charge, and the one thing that saved me was bringing in a Felucian so that I could force Reuben to kill it, which would allow Anakin to blow up and remove the Houjix from the game. Without that choice, I'm pretty sure I would've lost the game. And even the way it turned out in our game, if I had placed Anakin 1 square over for his Unleash-the-Force, the Exile could've used Force Defense and won the game! lol It was a heck of a game, and a lot of fun.

So yeah, if playing Solo Charge against this squad, you have 1 option: bring in a Felucian and kill of the activations and Houjix asap, so that Mara can levitate in and kill Cad/Dash/whatever...and watch out for the Exile's Force Defense on Mara's Assault and Ganner's Levitation.

And I like Weeks' suggestion of using Carth. OR has some EXCELLENT new options now that R&R is released.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:24 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

@Sithborg: Yeah, one thing that makes Crazy Houjix 2.0 enticing is the fact that, between Handmaiden squads and the fact that a Battlemaster squad just won Gencon, dropping Bounty Hunter for Assassin is pretty sweet.

@Weeks: I hear you on Carth, but you only get him in by dropping one of the cheap pieces, and I will say that the five three-point pieces in the squad were not just garbage activations--having played against him with it twice, Reuben had really thought out how to use the three-mouse shield to ensure that the Houjix Phalanx was only attacked by accurate or heavy movement breakers in the first round and a half or so, and the uggies are still pretty essential for door-blowing. Carth plus Senator is tempting, though.

Overall, as I look through the V-Set in detail for the first time, it sure looks like OR Pilot squads are gonna be a big deal for the foreseeable future.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:14 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I inititially was thinking about Carth, but the only real problem he has over Dash is the lack of Greater Mobile. Granted, with Surprise Move and Speed 8 can easily set up a devastating barrage, I can easily see where Dash might be used over Carth.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:24 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

this squad smoked me.

I spaced on force defence and it probably cost me the game although the insane retern fire is really hard to deal with.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:39 am 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

I'll first say that Crazy Houjix 2.0 would have been a very tough match-up for my Battlemaster Squad from GENCON. Map roll would be a huge factor. I would propably end up brining in a Human BG and Wicket w/ Lobot to counter the Exile's LS Duelist and make it easier for my guys to hit the other pieces.

Once again, I'm glad to see a "lesser" faction get more attention. I do agree that Atton is better than Cad Bane all around, especially since he has Override. Can't wait to see the different builds from OR and other factions as the year progresses.

Sincerely,
Jester007

Punting jawas may be bad, but its just so FUN!!