logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Nerp Jolt [200pt. New Republic] w/FU
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:50 pm 
General
General

My first post-FU Nerp (New Republic) squad.

Mara Jade, Jedi [45]
Garm Bel Iblis [45]
Han Solo, Rogue [30]
Lobot [27]
Jaina Solo [25]
Talon Karrde [24]
Ugnaught Demolitionist [3]
[199]

<Garm's Reinforcements>
Verpine Tech [12]
Verpine Tech [12]
Bith Rebel [5]
[29]

<Lobot's Reinforcements>
Boba Fett, Young Mercenary [17]
Ugnaught Demolitionist [3]
[20]

[200 pts. 12 activations]

Garm's CE benefits Jaina and Boba so they get a tiny hint of Twin Attack. The Verpine Tech's Rig Blaster special ability works for Mara, Garm, Talon, Boba, and the Bith Rebel--giving them all Jolt (aka Paralysis and Scramble). Han Rogue and Talon make sure you have a good chance of winning initiative and have lots of opportunities to Jolt people.

Last edited by shinja on Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:08 pm 
General
General

Rig Blaster: All allies within 6 squares with nonmelee attacks whose printed Damage rating is exactly 10 (disregarding special ability or commander effect bonuses) gain the Jolt special ability as described above.

Mara's printed Damage rating is exactly 10 (if you disregard special abilities like Lightsaber and Cunning Attack), so she gains Jolt. That's how I read it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:56 pm 
Name Calling Internet Bully

a couple of changes and you have what I believe is the best NR 200 after FU.

Drop Rogue for Han ST - you wont need Rogue. Drop Talon for 5 5pt 10 dmg shooters. Now, you can bring in the Verpine with Garm and lobot will bring you a MTB and ugos. Its very very good. I was already talking about this with Drew and posted a bit about it on WotC.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:06 pm 
General
General

billiv15 wrote:
a couple of changes and you have what I believe is the best NR 200 after FU.

Drop Rogue for Han ST - you wont need Rogue. Drop Talon for 5 5pt 10 dmg shooters. Now, you can bring in the Verpine with Garm and lobot will bring you a MTB and ugos. Its very very good. I was already talking about this with Drew and posted a bit about it on WotC.

How about I play my version of this squad against your version, and we'll see who wins? :)

Han Rogue and Talon is better initiative control than a Muun Tactics Broker (in fact, it nerfs MTB, and doesn't have the same problems with San that MTB does)--not to mention the Reserves and Disruptive Talon brings to the table.

I believe I have better damage output with Han Rogue than you have with Han ST (I still question how much he adds to Mara and Jaina).

I have enough Jolters (how many non-Accurate Jolts do you plan to get off every round?).

My squad isn't suicidal (granted, vs. Rogue, you won't bring a MTB, so yours won't be either).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:27 pm 

Also, I out range you. Thats where the better damage output comes in. A well placed Furious can take out your jolters.

And last, we do not know if Rogue will affect the MTB or not. And if he does, he would likely suppress both effects of it. But yes, I wouldnt bring one against Rogue (if it works) or San. Hence the reinforcement option :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:57 pm 
General
General

billiv15 wrote:
Also, I out range you. Thats where the better damage output comes in. A well placed Furious can take out your jolters.

And last, we do not know if Rogue will affect the MTB or not. And if he does, he would likely suppress both effects of it. But yes, I wouldnt bring one against Rogue (if it works) or San. Hence the reinforcement option :)

I don't think you can count on Furious doing that much for you. Obviously it can happen, but for the most part Han is going to get 1 or 2 attacks with Furious Assault (at +8 for 20 damage). He is hard to kill--with Stealth, and decent HP and Defense, but I don't think he's worth sacrificing Never Tell Me the Odds and Accurate Shot from Rogue.

As far as out-ranging me (assuming you mean through Han's CE), I'm just not sure it gives you much damage output.

Mara and Jaina get 1 (maybe 2) extra attacks that they wouldn't get without the CE. Once they base someone, Charging Fire doesn't help. Wouldn't it be better to work on improving your chances for Cunning Attack on all your attacks instead of charging in for that extra attack?

From the Rulebook:
Never Tell Me The Odds: Enemy special abilities that modify initiative, such as Master Tactician and Recon, have no effect while this character is in play.

From Kangoor's preview of Muun Tactics Broker:
Tactics Broker (Once per round, before initiative is determined, choose 1 other character in your squad. Remove that character from play; that character is defeated. An opponent’s initiative check result automatically becomes 1.)

As I read it, Tactics Broker is certainly a special ability that modifies initiative, thus being rendered ineffectual by Never Tell Me the Odds. I would be absolutely shocked if it was ruled otherwise.

I really would like to play these two squads against each other. Although, assuming Rogue does mess up MTB, it doesn't seem like a good way to tell which squad is better. Perhaps playing each squad against some other competitive 200 pt. squad and see how they each perform?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:15 pm 

The out ranging is more than just 1-2 additional attacks. Mara gets to shoot everytime she moves. Im not going to base you. Also, I suppose the part about Furious is related to how I play. I always get off at least 1-3 furious assaults against 5-6+ targets. So that would sway me somewhat here.

PLaying our versions against each other wouldnt prove much really. The key is how they play against other squads. And what I can tell you having played Crubls a lot at 150 and 200 is that you have to have Han ST over Rogue.

Where I see the issue with the MTB is that the MTB affects your init, not mine. We have no other ability to know at this time. IT certainly could affect it, just cant say. Try it our, perhaps ST isnt your best piece.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:30 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

billiv15 wrote:
Also, I suppose the part about Furious is related to how I play. I always get off at least 1-3 furious assaults against 5-6+ targets. So that would sway me somewhat here.

Who lets you do that? A non-accurate Han getting off 5-6 shots in one assault? If an opponent allows you to do that you have one the game already... (Let alone them letting you do it 3 times!)

“Those with no tactical ability at all may never understand or accept it. Nor will such people understand or accept the tactician. To those without that ability, those who posses it are a mystery.” - Mitth’raw’nuruodo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:31 pm 
General
General

billiv15 wrote:
I always get off at least 1-3 furious assaults against 5-6+ targets. So that would sway me somewhat here.

Wow! Either I don't know how to play Han ST, or your opponents don't know how to play against him. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:24 pm 

thejumpingflea wrote:
Who lets you do that? A non-accurate Han getting off 5-6 shots in one assault? If an opponent allows you to do that you have one the game already... (Let alone them letting you do it 3 times!)

Ive done it against good opponents and bad. Sometimes, I take AoOs, sometimes I just find odd los my opponents dont know about, etc.

Cmon, you guys know how I play. Han either functions as a distraction, or benefits from the thread of Mara and Jaina. And I usually set up the attacks where I want them 2-3 rounds ahead of time, which gives me the most benefit for Han.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:39 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

billiv15 wrote:
thejumpingflea wrote:

Ive done it against good opponents and bad. Sometimes, I take AoOs, sometimes I just find odd los my opponents dont know about, etc.

Cmon, you guys know how I play. Han either functions as a distraction, or benefits from the thread of Mara and Jaina. And I usually set up the attacks where I want them 2-3 rounds ahead of time, which gives me the most benefit for Han.

I know how you play, I just cannot see any opponent ever giving you an opportunity like this. To let off a Furious Assault of 3+ figures is to just give your opponent an advantage.

“Those with no tactical ability at all may never understand or accept it. Nor will such people understand or accept the tactician. To those without that ability, those who posses it are a mystery.” - Mitth’raw’nuruodo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:16 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

I agree with shinja, if your opponent is stupid enough to set himself up for a 5 or 6 character FA then they deserve to lose. That's without Accurate Shot. With Accurate Shot I can see that happening.

I'm pretty sure no decent player would let that happen, no offense to your opponents billiv15.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:35 am 

adder wrote:
I'm pretty sure no decent player would let that happen, no offense to your opponents billiv15.

Well it depends on the opponent's squad, but this is 200.

For example - I got 3 FAs off on Matt (MtMagus - 3rd Gencon 06, tied for 5th Gencon 07) on 5+ figs against his Vader IC swarm with Thrawn, and my God Squad match a couple of weeks ago.

There just isnt much a swarm can do against it on the 3 legal maps at 200.

And even if I dont get it, the danger of it is more than enough to make up the difference from Han Rogue's single shot accurate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:51 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

billiv15 wrote:
There just isnt much a swarm can do against it on the 3 legal maps at 200.

Again, my ignorance of maps has screwed me again. In case you haven't noticed I don't play official DCI very much, hence I wouldn't know which maps are legal and what those maps look like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:08 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Heh....what about Xizor with the Han ST, in a squad like this? Mara and Xizor would both get Jolt. Mara and Han get Accurate. Could toss in a BBSV, which would also get Jolt, and give Mara Evade. Then throw in Abyssian Black Sun Thugs for more Accurate Shooting Jolters with Grenades 20. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:31 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

I have to go with Bill on this one.

When facing a 200 point swarm squad, I got off several Furious Assaults against 4+ figures, against TK-421.

At 200, it is not that difficult to get off FA's.

She giveth, and she taketh away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:11 pm 

i'll just add this - my love for Furious assault and the range bonus to Mara and Jaina makes me stick to ST. But the meta may in fact require Han Rogue soon enough. So in that regard, you've got me thinking for sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:37 am 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

One big question is whether Han, Rogue will nerf the Broker. If he does, then you need to decide whether you'd want to counteract the Muun, or let your opponent kill off his own squad.

She giveth, and she taketh away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:33 pm 

I'm almost positive on this one. He will counter the MTB. The question is whether or not the MTB will still have to sacrifice to it. I am thinking not, but I could argue it either way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:04 pm 
Jedi Council
Jedi Council

What's the reasoning on why they might still have to sacrifice? I'm reading NTMTO as you're basicly playing like the opposing piece no longer has the SA that modifies iniative.