logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Is this the best Revan sqaud you have seen yet?
Total votes : 0

Post subject: "This isn't a good squad"- (with Revan)
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:42 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Ok, how does this squad look?

Basilisk War Droid (51)
Darth Revan (88 points)
Ulic Qel-Droma (61)
Total: 200 Points

I believe this is a good sqaud. Ulic Qel-Droma brings the Basilisk War Droid into the battle. With Strafe Attack, Speed 10, and Revan's CE (Once per round, after initiative is determined, 1 ally can immediately move up to its Speed before any other character activates.) this character can do alot of damage :D. In addition, the Basilisk War Droid can Benefit from both of their CEs (Revans-Droids are subject to these effects: non-Unique followers within 6 squares get +4 Attack. and Ulic Qel-Droma-Mandalorian allies within 6 squares gain Bodyguard).

So how does the squad looks?

http://swminisdatabase.proboards58.com/index.cgi

Last edited by Yoda of the Database on Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:17 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

As i said over on the other boards, you are going to get slaughtered because of activations.

Check us out over at Pojo.com

"It appears the Bothans have rooked us again."
-Obi wan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:27 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

As I said on the other Board-

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But the Basilisk War Droid can move 10 squares (due to Revan's CE) and attack with Strafe Attack (As this character moves, it can attack each enemy whose space it enters; this turn, this character cannot attack any enemy twice and cannot move directly back into a space it has just left) at 30 Damage a hit, before the Rounds begins. This can really hurt a Old Republic Squad.

-Revan's CE (Droids are subject to these effects: non-Unique followers within 6 squares get +4 Attack. Once per round, after initiative is determined, 1 ally can immediately move up to its Speed before any other character activates.)

It's Brilliant :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:58 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Do you realize just how easy it is to avoid a Huge figure's Strafe, especially if Throne Room is pulled. I showed Engineer just how easy it was, and without the Strafe, the Basilik will go down. Hard. Especially since the opponent will be able to nearly kill it before it gets close enough to do any damage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:04 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

I don't know.. Since (in this 200 point) you also have Revan and Ulic Qel-Droma to deal with, he can do some damage. In one turn he can move 30 squares to (with Revan CE) and attack a lot of chracters, he also has flight... So pretty deadly, I think.. Moving 30 squares (with Flight) in a round, I believe he can get close enough to do some damage :D.

Basilisk War Droid benefits more from CE than anyother character I could find. I believe it is a deady combo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:09 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Could someone say something positive?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:12 am 
Moff Disra
Moff Disra

Sithborg wrote:
Do you realize just how easy it is to avoid a Huge figure's Strafe, especially if Throne Room is pulled. I showed Engineer just how easy it was, and without the Strafe, the Basilik will go down. Hard. Especially since the opponent will be able to nearly kill it before it gets close enough to do any damage.

That was quite the lesson in straffing. With a huge figure, you are really luck to get off a straff that hits more than 2 figures (if your opponent is playing properly and prepares for your straff).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:14 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Not really, because it isn't a good squad.

If he is able to attack a lot of characters, then your opponent deserves to lose. Strafe on the Basilisk is not hard to bypass. Having my guess in a little nook where the Basilisk can't move in and back out isn't hard on the 200 pt maps.

The combo is interesting, but that fact that it takes up 200 pts makes it unfeasable. You are shrugging off the how much you will be outactivated. Generally, being outactivated by some is okay, but you will be outactivated so much, it isn't even funny. You will move, then I will be free to attack whoever you have in front, most likely the Basilisk, who falls pretty easily.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:14 am 
Moff Disra
Moff Disra

Yoda of the Database wrote:
Could someone say something positive?

I'm positive that 3 activations is too few at 200 points.
I'm positive that huge straffing pieces are not useful (you just don't get the bang for the points).
I'm positive that Ulic will only get to attack once a game before he is killed.

How was that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:11 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

I don't really get it, I guess..

So it would be easy to counter who can
-move ten squares, while Strafe Attacking
-then move an additional 10 squares (he could reattack the people he attacked using Revan's CE)
-he could then attack or move 10 more squares (a total of 30 squares of Strafe Attack in the round)

If you don't want to move the Baslisk War Droid up 10, you can always (pending he is alive) move Ulic Qel-Droma up squares. He has master speed so he could move up to 24 squares or 18 while attacking. So I believe he can make more than one attack, even if you just send him out there- he has 23 Defense and 160 HP.. In turns of movement, this squad is pretty good. But again, not many activations hurt the team..

He could attack someone (with Stafe Attack) and run back 20 squares.. If this squad isn't gonna make the Basilisk War Droid useful- what squad would?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:49 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

ok, i will try to explain this. new players all the time just don't get the deal with not enough activations. so i will try my best to explain this matter. you have 4 activations, yes they are all good pieces, but you just have 4 attakers. which means this. say you run up against black and blue. it will have around 13 to 15 actvation. you have nobody that has door control you have nobody that has acurate shot. so if you move all 4 figures there full movement the first 2 rounds of play. they will probably be exposed to 10 to 13 character getting there shot on them before you can do anything else, and this is just round 1, now say round two happens and if you have tarken in your 200 point black and blue team you can activate 3 characters. so whats going to happen is this. both your storm commandoes will double attk at plus 13 for 30 dam each atk then thrawn will swap out one with vader and you will act 2 characters. still not able to kill vader and he will wipe the floor with the rest of your team. so any other advise i could give you would be this make a balanced team, with shooters as well as melee. for 100 points you should have min 4 actv
150 should have 10, 200 should have at least 12 hope this helps a little.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:55 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

@ Yoda,

You can have your basilisk move up to 20 while strafing you just won't be able to make your standard attack, just the strafing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:06 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Why are we talking about imperials? I figured this squad would go up against the Old Republic...

@xanthan

I know, but with Revan's CE, he could move 10 squares (while strafe attacking enemies) and then take his normal turn (in which he can move 20 more squares just strafing). I figured this was interest/powerful so I built the squad around it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:36 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

Why are we talking about imperials? I figured this squad would go up against the Old Republic...

Any faction can go against any other faction. It does not have to be Sith vs. Old Republic. You could even have Sith vs. Sith.

But even if it was only going against the Old Republic, this squad would have a tough time winning. It might be fun to play, but that's about it.

She giveth, and she taketh away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:37 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

@xanthan

I know, but with Revan's CE, he could move 10 squares (while strafe attacking enemies) and then take his normal turn (in which he can move 20 more squares just strafing). I figured this was interest/powerful so I built the squad around it.

no, on revan's ce you can move up to Full Speed, so you move 20 with the war droid during revan's ce.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:54 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

@xanthan

Have you ever played in a tournament? You don't play Era's in DCI. That may be the reason why you are showing such little knowledge in a competitive scene.

If you have Vassal I would be happy to show you what 3 activations will get you in a squad. I will even use all RS characters.

“Those with no tactical ability at all may never understand or accept it. Nor will such people understand or accept the tactician. To those without that ability, those who posses it are a mystery.” - Mitth’raw’nuruodo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:48 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Xanthan wrote:
no, on revan's ce you can move up to Full Speed, so you move 20 with the war droid during revan's ce.

Incorrect. The Basilisk's speed is 10, that is how far you can move. You are confusing with how far they can move when they double move on their turn with their speed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:26 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

I have to chime in as well; way to short on activations. It'd be fun for casual play though. Anyone other than OP want to fess up to voting this as the #1 Revan squad? :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:39 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Ya, this squad would be fun, perhaps in a 500 point match with a bunch of Mandos and Sith the squad might have a chance against the big sqauds.

I built this squad to try to take advantage of Revan's CE, and with Strafe Attack,flight, and Speed 10 -I believe I suceeded in that. Whether or not this squad is competive, how Revan's CE helps the War Droid is really impresive. I was looking at the Rots starting map and the War Droid can fly nearly across the entrie map since with Revan he can move 30 squares across the board. So if the War Droid was easily countered, I don't believe he is anymore. If you count out the squares (on the Rots Map), he can almost make it to the other teams starting area in the first round. I was planing (if I played the squad) on having the Baslisk War Droid make a mad run after the 2nd or 3rd round (cleaning out some of cheaper activations). If there are any enemies within 10 squares, he could run up and make one attack with +10 attack and Damage and retreat back 20 squares to safety- or he could attack a couple enemies within 10 squares and run over them again when he activates, that is two attacks at +10 damage and 30 damage. I know that other squads with Mas and Thrawn, can take this squad, but the squad isn't that bad.. I excepted the team would go up against the Old Republic (in which there could be a lot of melee units and perhaps some good shooters like Boba Fett), I kind of pictured the War Droid waiting around -the opponent throwing some melee attackers against Revan and Droma, and then throw my war droid against the mass within 10 squares, making two attacks against each at +10 attack (the normal War Droid can't match this by himself). So, I put alot of thought into this squad, and it hurts when people just post -This is a bad squad, or a squad with Rebel Storm minatures could take this squad, or Strafe Attack isn't good on a huge fig....Because I just wanted to this squad interesting and in this squad the War Droid has about 1/2 more activations a round..

I am a little interested in playtesting the squad, I guess I could create a Vassal... I'll like to see how the squad plays (do they have Revan's stats up?).. Playtesting the squad against Rebel Storm really isn't gonna prove anything, even if I win (which sounds doubtful) it wouldn't show that the squad is any good...

I would really like to see some playtesting results with this squad.. So if anyone is interested in playtesting the combo of the War Droid and Revan (for fun)- I would really love to hear some results (even if it is negative :)). I don't know anyone who plays near me..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:15 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Yeah, actually, I was just about to chime in here guys....

Remember...not everyone plays this game strictly for DCI competitive purposes. When someone posts a squad like this, instead of tearing into right away with comments like "this will get annihilated" try asking first "Is this for a fun squad or for DCI competition?" Or simply break your thoughts into two categories: DCI, fun.

As a Fun Squad, I think this would be a blast to play. It certainly has some good potential. The Basilisk will likely wipe anything less than 30 hp off the map within the first 2 turns. If you play it right, your opponent shouldn't be able to kill it in the first round. Even if the Basilisk does die by Round 2 or 3, there's still both Revan and Uliq to deal with. Granted, neither of them may be that great in terms of offense, but they have great Defensive stats, and decent attacks. They can each dish out 60 dmg a round.

On a competitive level, I do agree with the other guys that it is too light on activations. The Basilisk will be lucky to get one full Strafe attack in. Although I fail to understand someone's comment about Throne Room. The Basilisk would actually work great on Throne Room as it can reach any of the squares in the gambit areas. With Flight and Revan's CE, you could practically do a complete loop around the gambit area. :lol: